Forums

Grunfeld - Kramnik v Kasparov 2000

Sort:
checkersgosu

I have that in the second game of their 2000 title match, Kramnik "uncorked a novelty in the Grunfeld defence" that allowed him to beat Kasparov. Afterwards, Kasparov never used the Grunfeld again. What was this novelty? I have tried searching but haven't found any videos or even articles about this game. Here is the game:

jessyrider
jessyrider wrote:
jessyrider wrote:

chess is one of the my favorite.i often play chess.

Joliese Tan

philidorposition

11.Rxb7 is the novelty by Kramnik.

Bareev's annotation (Kramnik's second during this match and the match against Leko) in From London to Elista (if you're interested in getting to know more about Kramnik and his WC matches, the book is just pure perfection):

It's been surprising that 11.Rxb7 hadn't been previously played, and likewise that in his preparation the World Champion hadn't pad due attention to this most obvious move: the rook invades on the seventh rank and in addition captures a pawn. Kramink analysed this variation with Illescas, but not too deeply, since he didn't think his opponent would so easily give up a pawn. White obtains a great advantage "without risk," but with a guarantee of pressure.

marvellosity

I prefer 9...0-0 to 9...Bg4.

checkersgosu

11. Rxb7 is the novelty? What else would one play there?

What about 10. Rb1?

It seems after 10.Rb1, he can either give up the pawn or give up castling.

Barry_Helafonte2

the grunfeld is hard to play