Forums

Is b4 opening for white correct?

Sort:
Muisuitglijder
poucin schreef:

I think I disagree with all your evaluations lol, especially your last diagram, where black is between slightly and clearly better in my opinion (after a developing move like 10...Nbd7).

I have to agree with @poucin. And not because he's an IM and your an NM. According to Houdini the line is perfectly playable. Even more so with your suggested 10.b5 which you even give an exclamation mark, when @poucin suggested move turns the line in black's favour. Sure, the line (untill 10.b5) offers level chances. But i think it is white who needs to play the most accurate, because the line quickly turns into black's favour. But i don't see nothing wrong with level chances. 1.b4 b6 offers a very nice alternative.

Muisuitglijder
RetiFan schreef:

Why not host a tournament with custom position starting with 1. b4 to settle this dispute?

Great idea

darkunorthodox88
Spelenderwijs wrote:
poucin schreef:

I think I disagree with all your evaluations lol, especially your last diagram, where black is between slightly and clearly better in my opinion (after a developing move like 10...Nbd7).

I have to agree with @poucin. And not because he's an IM and your an NM. According to Houdini the line is perfectly playable. Even more so with your suggested 10.b5 which you even give an exclamation mark, when @poucin suggested move turns the line in black's favour. Sure, the line (untill 10.b5) offers level chances. But i think it is white who needs to play the most accurate, because the line quickly turns into black's favour. But i don't see nothing wrong with level chances. 1.b4 b6 offers a very nice alternative.

i dont see any line where this is in blacks favor,

which ever way he takes, white is just better here. How much better is debatable, but white is at least on the better side of even here.

that c pawn does not inspire confidence

Muisuitglijder

Houdini says it's equal. But it also shows that white has to play very accurate to keep it that way. Btw Black can also not play 7...d6 but 7...Na6. Either way, 1.b4 c6 offers a perfect alternative in my opinion.