Forums

Learning the queens gambit part 1

Sort:
ErnstStavroBlofeld1

xxvalakixx

Why would you play 2. e4? Black plays e5 and black is ok.
The main move is  2. Nf3 (controlling the e5 square) followed by e3. Other moves are not so good.

ErnstStavroBlofeld1

I said i would move 3.nf3 but e4 was another possiblility, not the best line.

blumzovich

Giving 3. e4 a question mark is preposterous, it was played DOZENS of times by former WC Karpov.  And here I thought this was going to be a serious openings discussion.

ErnstStavroBlofeld1

I never gave it a ?. It is a fine move. I just said I usually play 3.nf3. even e3 is a possiblity.

blumzovich
ErnstStavroBlofeld1 wrote:

I never gave it a ?. It is a fine move. I just said I usually play 3.nf3. even e3 is a possiblity.

I never said YOU gave it a ?  Hint, there's only 3 people in this thread, I didn't give it a question mark, and you didn't.  So that means ______ did.

blumzovich
xxvalakixx wrote:

Why would you play 2. e4? Black plays e5 and black is ok.
The main move is  2. Nf3 (controlling the e5 square) followed by e3. Other moves are not so good.

Maybe that wasn't a question mark for the move e4 (and BTW it's on move 3 not 2), but rather a question mark for the entire sentence you wrote.  Nevertheless to say "Black plays e5 and black is ok" would be quite a revelation to Karpov.  Maybe you should be Carlsen's second?

blumzovich
SupremeOverlord wrote:

STOP USING ENGINES!!! The long unannotated line makes it obvious

Give this man a cigar!

ErnstStavroBlofeld1

I did not use an engine I am a serious queens gambit player. I just know the basics of the opening. Why would you think im using an engine?

blumzovich
ErnstStavroBlofeld1 wrote:

I did not use an engine I am a serious queens gambit player. I just know the basics of the opening. Why would you think im using an engine?

I don't think you are.  I just thought that guy needed a cigar.