Forums

Most dreaded/favorite opening to face?

Sort:
DrSpudnik

State your preferred opening move and reply with the opening you most hate to see and the one you love to see:

I play 1. e4 and I hate to see the French 1...e6 (which I have played for a long time myself)...but I love to see a Scandinavian 1...d5 which almost always signals an opponent who can't be bothered to learn anything about openings.

GrandCheesemaster

I mainly play 1.e4 and love to see e5 but hate to see c6 (Caro-Kann)

Elubas

I wonder if there's a 1 e4 player on this planet that doesn't like to see 1...e5.

Elubas

Actually I kind of meant amateurs (petroff did come to my mind), because they just always seem to absolutely love facing ...e5 (as I did). I guess because they figure it's not too dangerous, with black only doing a crappy copy of white's strategy, but it is very solid (and yes, plenty of drawing lines, but of course this isn't a factor for anyone below the top) and natural to play.

Cutebold

I love it because I love essaying the Four Knights Game and watching them groan.

DrSpudnik
Cutebold wrote:

I love it because I love essaying the Four Knights Game and watching them groan.

Sadistically effective! Laughing

What do you hate to see come at you? 

DrSpudnik
Conzipe wrote:
Elubas wrote:

I wonder if there's a 1 e4 player on this planet that doesn't like to see 1...e5.

Like almost every GM? ;D

Petroff seems to be a real pain for white players nowadays.

And that's the problem with feeling too happy after 1...e5. I am all set to unleash the Italian Game (2 Knights with Ng5 or the Evans Gambit) and then my opponent springs 2. ... f5 or after 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 the Hungarian Be7 disappointment. A long, slow grind, grind, grind is in the offing. Frown

Grandmaster_Oggy

I play 1. d4 and i love to see 1. Nf6 or 1. d5 and i hate to see 1. e6 or 1. d6

LavaRook

As a 1.d4/2.c4 player, I hate facing the Nimzo-Indian (I cannot avoid it as I play the Exchange QGD with Nge2) but I love facing the KID- I use the Bayonet Attack against it.

meanpc
Like to play e4 and love to see e5...can play a ruy lopez, four knights or even a danish out of it. Not real fond of seeing c5.
vowles_23

You have openings that you prefer/dislike you opponent plays? :O

I don't understand..if you don't like a particular line, don't play it?

dschaef2
vowles_23 wrote:

You can't control what your opponent plays...

Musikamole

I don't care for White opening with 1.e3. What usually follows is an early queen. I honestly don't know why they don't play 1.e4, followed by the usual early queen move of  2.Qf3 or Qh5, targeting Black's weak f7 square. At least they would have a pawn in one of the four center squares with 1.e4.

I simply follow 1.e3 with 1...e5. Why not? Now I am playing as if I had the White pieces.  Seriously, I see 1.e3 a lot in live chess games.

DrSpudnik
Musikamole wrote:

I don't care for White opening with 1.e3. What usually follows is an early queen. I honestly don't know why they don't play 1.e4, followed by the usual early queen move of  2.Qf3 or Qh5, targeting Black's weak f7 square. At least they would have a pawn in one of the four center squares with 1.e4.

I simply follow 1.e3 with 1...e5. Why not? Now I am playing as if I had the White pieces.  Seriously, I see 1.e3 a lot in live chess games.

People play the worst garbage on live chess. That's why I moved to online chess at 3-7 day time limits.

They think that because the game is 5-10 minutes long, you'll lose on time trying to figure out what they're doing, but they aren't doing anything, so the joke's on them.

vowles_23
dschaef2 wrote:
vowles_23 wrote:

You can't control what your opponent plays...

It takes two to play a game of chess..

Are we talking about opening lines or an opening move here?

DrSpudnik

An opening like the Sicilian or French or Queen's Gambit...

vowles_23
DrSpudnik wrote:

Oh okay - yes.

I was talking about lines in a particular opening, that if you don't like to see them, don't play moves that can lead up to it.

But yeah what I am saying is that if you don't like to play against the Silican or something else, don't play 1.e4.

DrSpudnik
vowles_23 wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

Oh okay - yes.

I was talking about lines in a particular opening, that if you don't like to see them, don't play moves that can lead up to it.

But yeah what I am saying is that if you don't like to play against the Silican or something else, don't play 1.e4.

But you have to play something! And no matter what that something is, there will be an annoying reply for it.

vowles_23
DrSpudnik wrote:
vowles_23 wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

Oh okay - yes.

But you have to play something! And no matter what that something is, there will be an annoying reply for it.

Mmm yeah okay good point, but that is why I like unorthodox openings, because people don't know what is annoying and what isn't (usually).

azeimer

my most hated ending against me is checkmate! hahaha!