Forums

My idea against the King's Indian Defense

Sort:
Chess4001

Against the KID, I try the Colle-Zukertort against it but am not too confident with it:

This is my main idea against the KID and I do 2. e3 in hopes of making a Stonewall, my favorite opening of all. I think I like this because the bishop on b2 indirectly eyes the crucial e5 square and can discourage central breaks. This system is flexible, but is it flexible enough to deal with the KID. The KID depends on a kingside attack plus a central break, so I discourage this by solidifying the center and punching back n the kingside. In the Colle-Zukertort I also have the hopes of a potential queenside attack with a later c4 and the opening of a c file. I don't like to play f4, a more Stonewall like move, because then I'd be weak to an e5 break:

This e5 breakthrough has a bigger impact since f4 is then targeted. I've talked with this to a very strong player named conzipe (2000 FIDE), and he says that black has very good chances here. By looking at the diagram, I agree. A Stonewall commitment can't be taken back, so it would be too late. I have been asking myself some questions, like: Why not try the classic way to go? With 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4, that would be a whole bookload of theory I need to study, and if you're a lazy person (like me), you wouldn't want that. I want to use a surprise novelty against KID players, so this way, book theory is most likely dragged away.  I haven't talked much about my Colle-Zukertort idea at all, so this is the first time I'll be asking for feedback on my novelty. 
Anyways, the standard Colle=Zukertort goes something like this:

As you see, the point of this system, unlike the Colle, makes the dark-squared bishop a tough piece for an attack. By my opinion, it's sometimes very essential that it's comparable to a dragon bishop. It helps control dark squares in the center and even supports a possible Ne5! I like this a lot. Unlike the Colle, c3 isn't played, so Nb4 can be annoying; however, in the KID, Nc6-Nb4 is highly unlikely. So the cons of the Colle-Zukertort is wiped away, which is why I like to use it. Sure, an e5 thrust can send lightning in my face, but I think I can properly deal with it or defend against it while doing damage control. 

So what are your opinions?

TwoMove

It is perfectly solid of course but I can say as a KingsIndian player it doesn't cause me any lose of sleep. It is one of the bonus points of playing KingsIndian against these sort of non critical anti lines, black as lots of flexibility and no problems at all. If white wants to play some system where plays e4 in two steps, when perfectly perpared for white to play it in one, well its not too scary. Black even as classic games like Petrosian v Larsen '66 to base play on.

DrSpudnik

It looks interesting. The main line efforts of c4-d4-e4 pawns is based on the idea that one should jump into the center and take it if Black does nothing to stop it. However, I suspect that it's a matter of taste as to how to approach a K-fianchetto defense. Who knows, maybe some GM will see this and play it in a famous game that will give his name to the line. Laughing

DrSpudnik

LOL: Die Pirc Die!

If only. This thing seems to have blossomed as a fad about 5-6 years ago and now is fading anyway as people get tired of playing something they don't understand. Now the Alekhine and Center-Counter are coming into favor. Openings follow a cycle of B-S.

TwoMove

From black point of view don't think Barry attack very dangerous either, Yelena Dembo's book covers what black needs to know very well. Does have a bit of sting though so ideally would like to do a bit of preparation before facing it. In contrast with OP line think black should be fine just playing common sense moves.

Vyomo

I'd suggest d4 nf6 c4 g6 g3

QUETZALMAN

interesting your idea...

Chess4001

The Barry Attack is powerful against your opponent if he isn't careful. It can be deadly and is good for an endgame player.

Bubatz

Pellik's statement may be true with respect to some of the KIA players, but certainly not regarding most KID players. Actually, I don't think that KID players would just churn out the "classic" KID moves against the Colle. Almost all of them have "Fighting the anti-King's Indians" by Yelena Dembo at home. For example, against Chess4001's line with 4.b3, she suggests 4... c5. 

Vyomo

Excuse me, Pellik? The KIA is not for those who don't know how to plan middlegames, the KIA is for those who don't want to have to learn each and every opening, like me!

Ambassador_Spock
Yaroslavl

x

fried_liver-attack

Well, the Colle system is fun, and potentially lethal. You can get a large attack if played correctly via the green gift sacrifice, or breaking black's kingside via pushing the h pawn, then doubling your queen and rook on the H file. It isn't hard to be aggressive with it, and playing passively with it is severely crippling.

LionVanHalen

Agreed... Colle is one of most underrated openings. Scores very well and is sneaky aggressive. 

English KID guy isn't losing sleep... but he would say that wouldn't he?

KID guys just want their usual pawn break targets... Lion has played a similar style, with good results. 

fried_liver-attack
9497010838 wrote:
good comments, the OP has received.

But 949 is curious, why play e3 as second move? 949 hates that move. The job of white is to attack, like Kasparov did to Karpov in world championship with Scotch Game.

White’s goal is e4. Why stretch it out, lose tempo, and give black a chance to take middle of board by playing a soft e3? Look for ways to pump that king pawn right into the middle of the board e4! In one move!

The only reason white will play like you are saying is because white is a little afraid of opponent’s skill level. But this approach stretches out the game, and could potentially leave white in time trouble if it is a clocked game. But even if it isn’t a clocked game, why play the soft e3 on second move?

That is a quite common misconception, pushing e4 makes an open game, which some players either are worse at than a closed, like myself, or they don't want aggressive lines immediately in the center, rather attacking on the castled king. E3 is helping close the position turning it into a slower game of maneuvering, which many players suck at, leading to easy wins for white.

zTalc2

qid

LionVanHalen

Such as?

Gligoric, classical, saemich, orthodox, Petrosian ect?

A decent KID player loves those...

JosiahLennox

If you're committed to this idea, consider putting your LSB on e2 instead of d3.  On d3, it does very little apart from playing a minor support role in a potential e4 break that you're not really aiming for in this line, anyway.

On e2, it at least defends g4 in a lot of lines, helping to deflect black counterattacking chances while you try to orchestrate the exchange of DSB's.

You might find Yaacov Norowitz's material on the subject instructive, since this was his anti-KID setup back when he was mostly playing stonewalls.

LionVanHalen

Yes, nobody is saying a Colle type setup... is the best technical answer?

More a case of just develop quietly, and then... Let's Play Chess.

Squeezing them with Petrosian advance did well, or h3 Makogonov. Somebody suggested double fianchetto?

fried_liver-attack
pfren wrote:

The scheme d4/Nf3/e3?bd3 is completely ineffective against a KID setup, and the Stonewall scheme is even worse. White needs something more sophisticated.

It is harder to argue with you, as you are a IM, but sophistication isn't all that important in chess. The colle is just a system of development which uses pieces to push both d4 and e4. Playing systems with a lot of complex tactics and positional play can lead to absolute disaster, thus sometimes simple is better.