Forums

weird openings to confuse people

Sort:
Panic_Puppet

I really like Alekhine's defence as there's a surprising number of people that don't know the best way to chase the knights around without overextending and getting pawns lopped off. If they do make it through the minefield then I'm comfortable enough with the common opening positions that I normally have the edge. If they don't take the bait then it generally ends up in a Vienna style position after 2.Nc3 e5 which is my opening of choice as white, so again very comfortable (since I know what I don't like to see coming at me from the other side of the table). Mostly I just find that meeting 1 e4 with Nf6 is a great way to start the game on my terms.

Redendgame

here another one

I used it in live chess a few times and it works fine

Redendgame

I realized a problem in the post i just made

Suvel

wow... that was weird..

Ponziani is a solid opening that most people don't study

thomas31408

Magnus Carlsen actually played this once, as white. Just find the craziest moves and you'll get it in no time.

B1ZMARK

A-mateur
SNUDOO a écrit :

I'm gonna give this a try!

But Nc3-b5 would be answered by Nxb5, right? 

B1ZMARK

oops. Then it's Nc3 -> e4 -> d6

B1ZMARK

Also, GM Simon Williams shows the lines

https://www.chess.com/lessons/spicy-gambits/spicy-gambits-delayed-wing-gambit

edit: although idk if it's available for non-paying members

A-mateur

OK thanks. 

But what about 2...Nc6? White can have a nice pawn center, but will loose a pawn without having the possibility to put pressure on the a1-h8 diagonal. 

B1ZMARK

A-mateur
SNUDOO a écrit :

Thanks. That's a funny line, but the passed pawn in a7 looks dangerous, even if it will be under pressure. 

B1ZMARK

Its basically the benko gambit(very sound ), but instead of only having pressure on the queenside white also has a space advantage.

A-mateur

11...a6 does prevent Nb5. 

12.Nb5? axb5 13.Rxa8 bxc4! 

darkunorthodox88

aiming for an improved Birds opening where the troublesome queen knight is transferred to f2 quite often.

rarely seen but sound

the extra tempo helps white a lot in these lines. A natural move like c6?! is met by the swift, nc3 and nb4.

a possible improvement on the original early c4 remedy.

my own original take on how to play the 1.b4 2.bxb4 line. 3.c4 is still fine, but this is a nice alternative if white prefers a less tactical, and more solid variation. 

more sound than its cousin (the brooklyn retreat of the alekhine's defense 1.e4 nf6 2.e5 ng8), the montevideo retreat will get you stares but its not bad. Black will just play it like pirc, but with the added benefit, that white has released some of his central tension too early with d5. Unlike the brooklyn where white's pieces aim at your kingside, this one faces no such concern.

B1ZMARK
A-mateur wrote:

11...a6 does prevent Nb5. 

12.Nb5? axb5 13.Rxa8 bxc4! 

oops. Sorry, I was actually blitzing though the variations  I guess, you'd just move the bishop to d3 or somewhere.

darkunorthodox88
Stockfish11dev wrote:
darkunorthodox88 wrote:

aiming for an improved Birds opening where the troublesome queen knight is transferred to f2 quite often.

rarely seen but sound

the extra tempo helps white a lot in these lines. A natural move like c6?! is met by the swift, nc3 and nb4.

a possible improvement on the original early c4 remedy.

my own original take on how to play the 1.b4 2.bxb4 line. 3.c4 is still fine, but this is a nice alternative if white prefers a less tactical, and more solid variation. 

more sound than its cousin (the brooklyn retreat of the alekhine's defense 1.e4 nf6 2.e5 ng8), the montevideo retreat will get you stares but its not bad. Black will just play it like pirc, but with the added benefit, that white has released some of his central tension too early with d5. Unlike the brooklyn where white's pieces aim at your kingside, this one faces no such concern.

According to my calculations, in the first diagram the evaluation is -.95.

at depth 10?

that doesnt look like -0.95 to me! 

B1ZMARK
pfren wrote:
SNUDOO έγραψε:

You just need an idiot to play 10...Qh4??

After say 10...b5 (threatening to shut the bishop with ...b4) white is  material down for nothing.

can't you just do cxb5