Forums

Most underrated player ever?

Sort:
Rational_Optimist

i think i need to explain a little bit why i chose petrosian and stein.

petrosian cautious passive style isnot popular.he made many draws and people like players such as alekhine,tal kasparov as attackers or botvinnik smyslov fischer karpov as positional players

all these players has a lot of fans and broaden our understanding of the game and add something amazing to the game but petrosian?

as korchnoi said:

how the hell can I be Petrosian's second if it makes me sick to watch how he plays?

i think his deep strategic understanding is usually ignored and people dont like his slow motion chess although he was king of chess for 6 years.

kasparov said about petrosian in his book my great predecessors:

My games with the 9th world champion (Tigran Petrosian)broadened my understanding of chess. Had it not been for these two defeats, I would possibly not have reached the top in chess

i also chose stein since he achieved all his great successes inside USSR and never had a chance to take part in candidates matches so he isnot famous  but there is no doubt he played chess briliantlly and for a few years he was in top5.

TetsuoShima

I still dont understand Kasparov reference, he said he beat petrosian because he got the advise from Botvinnik to not pull only one of his balls but both, seriously thats what he said i hope i dont get in trouble

I dont get exactly what he ment by that.

Anyway i really like Petrosians ideas, they are fun in my opinion. To be honest i dont understand why people dont like him..

ALso i dont say why the always talk about Karpovs famous exchange sacrifices, maybe i just got lucky and watched all petrosians games were he sacced the exchange but to me its seems that Petrosian was the king of exchange sacrifices.

TetsuoShima

I was a bit dissapointed by Stein. YOu know the title of his book master of risk strategy, this sounded so appealing. Because i like risk strategy in other aspects away from chess as well.

But to be honest when i watched Romans videos about Stein i was a bit dissapointed, i hoped Stein style would have been a bit more flashy.

EladLending

Paul Keres

thelondonsystrn

The most underrated of all time is Botvinnik, he overcame two huge obstacles in the form of Tal and Smyslov, two players who used to be stumbling blocks, but he overcame them both!

BlackKaweah
Carlos Torre. He had some spectacular games before his illness caught him.