Forums

PARUL KERES

Sort:
stillCODED

KERES, Paul (1916-75). in the opinion of many, the strongest player never to have won the world title. playing on first board for Estonia at the Chess Olympics in Warsaw where he won more games than any other top board player. Latger the same year, he shared first place with Alekhine at Bad Nauheim. When he shared first at the great AVRO tournament of 1938, the only undefeated player in the field, he had strong claims for a world title match, but the war intervened. Estonia was annexed by the USSR, and Keres found himself, after the war, among the ranks of the great Soviet grandmasters. He finished third, behind Botvinnik and Smyslov, in the world championship tournament jof 1948. Despite subsequently playing in seven Candidates events, he never managed to earn a match for the title, despite coming within half a point of it on more than once occasion. He died of a heart attack shortly after winning the Canadian Open championship. When asked once, while visiting Estonia, why Paul Keres had never won the world title, his firend Boris Spassky (Fisher, later snatch the world title from Spassky) replied: 'he was unlucky -- like his country.'

games of Keres have lot of ideas to learn.

stillCODED

shit...not PARUL bit PAULSmile

stillCODED

soon, going to bring his beautiful game.

stillCODED

agree with chessmicky.

Noreaster

It is interesting to watch Keres' style of play mature through his many years of top notch tournament chess. I remember reading that early in his career after conquering the best players in Estonia and some international experience he realized that in order to play against the very best in the game he would need to play a little less risky and a bit more solid so as to achieve consistant results.

stillCODED

P Kerez

billwall

His last tournament was not the Canadian Open.  It was called the World Class Championship, held in Vancouver, British Columbia.  I played in the same tournament and finished 5th in my Class (after starting out 5-0).  I ran the wallboard of Kere's final game with Walter Browne.  I was one of the last persons to interview him, and challenged him to a table tennis match.  I am glad he refused.  He may have had his heart attack there and it would have been my fault. 

DrSpudnik

And he's on money!

Schackmale

Have anyone read Keres book about the 1948 world championship yet? Is it good?

ed1975

The most universal player ever, according to some.

urk
You know how Keres got good?
Postal chess!
Endless hours analyzing his postcard matches.

And the first Olympiad he played in his play was fantastically brilliant.
sharkey101

I have one of his books " Art of the Middle Game" ..that will be my next project. .