Forums

An xiangqi puzzle

Sort:
ebillgo

From the diagrammed position ( Black to play ), it took Black seven moves to win. The tactical elements used included forks and discovered checks. In case you don't know the basics of xiangqi, take a look at this website:

http://www.xqinenglish.com/intro_to_xq_pieces.html

I will withhold the answer until Nov 1. Apologies for keeping you intrigued for the time being.

ebillgo

The title should be " A xiangqi puzzle ".

IvanKosintsev

Rc5-c2?

VULPES_VULPES

I think

1. ...  Cd6+ 2. Rxd6 (2. Ad3 Rc2#) 2. ... Ne4+ 3. Kd3 (3. Kd1 Rc1#) 3. ... Nd6 4. Nxd6 

And the rest looks trivial.

ebillgo

Vulpes_Vulpes has got a hang of the puzzle but Red can offer a little bit more resistance at move 2 and the actual continuation is  more action-packed than your analysis. Please keep trying .

VULPES_VULPES
ebillgo wrote:

Vulpes_Vulpes has got a hang of the puzzle but Red can offer a little bit more resistance at move 2 and the actual continuation is  more action-packed than your analysis. Please keep trying .

Oh I forgot about the possiblity of red moving the rook away. I'll calculate that.

1. ... Cd6+ 2. Rb4 Rd5+ 3. Ad3 Nxd3 and it looks like red loses material to defend the mate threat of Nf4.

ebillgo

Here 's the answer to the puzzle: 

1… Cd6+

2. Rf4 +  Ke8  ( 2. Rxd6  Ne4+  3. Kd3  Nxd6 ( 3. Kd1 ??  Rc1 mate ))

3. Rxf2  Rd5 + ( a double check with rook and cannon )

4. Ad3  Rxb5 + ( first discovered check with capture)

5. Ae2  Rd5+ ( second double check )

6. Ad3  Rf5 + ( second discovered check )

7. Ae2  Rxf2 ( leaving Red with the advisors and a lone pawn )

Remellion

And what if 3. Kd1 instead? 3...Rd5+ 4. Ke1 Ce6+ 5. Ad3 Nxd3+ forking king and rook I guess?

Argh I hate this notation. I'll just write the notation I know.

What if 3. K6-1? My guess is

3. K6-1 R3=4
4. K6=5 C4=5
5. A5+6 H6-4 forking king and rook (can't find mate in this line; 5. A5-6? R4+4 6. K5+1 H6-5 mate, or 5. A5+4 H6-4 again.)

ebillgo

Remellion:

I use  this notation just because people used to chess will find it a  little bit more friendly. In fact, the xiangqi people in Europe use the same kind of notation as yours, based of course on the original used by the Chinese. Anyway your attention is always most welcome.

VULPES_VULPES

ARRRG! I suck at this! HOW DO I NOT SEE A FORK LIKE THAT???

Benzodiazepine

LOL, I don't think anyone knows what this is or how this works, here.

VULPES_VULPES
Benzodiazepine wrote:

LOL, I don't think anyone knows what this is or how this works, here.

I am Chinese -_- ...