Forums

cant remember name

Sort:
axeman08

Hi all, 

I was remembering this game I played a long time ago, but I don't remember all of the rules.  I don't recall the name either, so I couldn't look them up, so I thought I would just post what I remember and see if anyone's ever heard of something like this:

Basically, it was a 3-on-3 game of chess, using 3 normal boards with normal chess rules.  The two players on your team (next to you on your left and right) would play as black or white and you would be the opposite color.  So then, any pieces your partners captured, you could put them into your game as your pieces. The things I don't remember are how and when you are allowed to do this, and if your team wins based on solely the middle game (the captain's game) or if it's like best out of all 3 games wins.

Thanks in advance!

metronom

ı have no idea ,sorry Frown

trysts

Where do you put the pieces that your ship mates have captured? Are there designated squares? Has this ever been played in Mongolia, with sharks and lasers?

Patrick_S

I've not heard of having 3 boards but I've played with 2 boards and they call that Bughouse or (also called Exchange chess, Siamese chess, Tandem chess, Transfer chess, or simply Bughouse or Bug).  And a like to some info on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bughouse_chess    You can play that chess varient on a # of sites but I've played on FICS.  Not good at it but can play.  LOL

Patrick_S

In Bughouse anyway, the 2 boards are set opposite and if you are playing white for example you take a black piece and can put it off to the side in-between the boards.  Your partner on that same side can choose to move one of his own pieces or place one of the ones you've gained for them (any place they want on their board).  Both boards have clocks going starting with the same amount of time (they tend to play fast, like 3 or 5 minutes or faster but it's  not required).  If either side times out or check mates the other 'team' that 'team' of 2 wins. 

axeman08
Patrick_S wrote:

In Bughouse anyway, the 2 boards are set opposite and if you are playing white for example you take a black piece and can put it off to the side in-between the boards.  Your partner on that same side can choose to move one of his own pieces or place one of the ones you've gained for them (any place they want on their board).  Both boards have clocks going starting with the same amount of time (they tend to play fast, like 3 or 5 minutes or faster but it's  not required).  If either side times out or check mates the other 'team' that 'team' of 2 wins. 

yea, that definitely sounds similar, especially the part about putting the captured pieces to the side and the other player can chooe to either make a move or put a new piece on the board... maybe they started with that game and just expanded for 6 people or something.. 

Patrick_S

Maybe.  Ya, I did a general search and couldn't find anything else but didn't search long.  Possibly under label of chess varients out there someplace. 

MickinMD
Patrick_S wrote:

This is what came to mind right away - but limited to 2 boards. I encouraged it in the high school chess team I coached because to prompted players to try to visualize how a Knight or even a Pawn would create a winning pattern.  I remember one attempt at using 4 boards but it didn't become popular because one side would usually win very quickly.

Bughouse is fun.  One player would have the move and need a Knight to win or gain a winning position and, as his clock was running, he'd be begging his opponent, "I need a Knight!"

sea_of_trees

Maybe you should ask yasset seirawan. That guy knows some wacky version of chess.

CheesyPuns

spider house

jonesmikechess

Bughouse with three boards.  We played it all the time back in the 1980s.