Forums

Negative Chess

Sort:
syedmuneer

Hi

As a child used to play a variant called negative chess. Objective is simple you let all your pieces get killed to win the game. Sounds easy but not so easy in real.

Rules are:

1. Starting position is same as in normal chess, but black has opening move.

2. Pieces will move in same manner as in normal chess.

3. No checkmates.

4. If you are in postion to capture opponent's piece then you must do so. Cannot play other move.

5. Pawns can be promoted as in normal chess.

Any one played  or playing this with same name or with different name?

Mainline_Novelty

Yep, I've heard it called Take Me, Losing Chess, Eat Me, the name you described, where the objective is either to be left without pieces or left without a move. I've never heard of it being played with Black starting though, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

rssnspy6

Give-away Chess! 'Tis better to give than to receive.

syedmuneer
Mainline_Novelty wrote:

I've never heard of it being played with Black starting though, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

I am not sure but I think starting with black is for being different

Mainline_Novelty
syedmuneer wrote:
Mainline_Novelty wrote:

I've never heard of it being played with Black starting though, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

I am not sure but I think starting with black is for being different

Fair enough, but that probably just serves to make it confusing.

PLAVIN81

IT IS OK FOR CHILDREN ==FrownBUT WE SHOULD STAY WITH THE REAL GAME IT SEEMS LIKE A WASTE OF TIME

exploredhiraj

I have seen three other formats of chess apart from the normal one sometime ago. Those are : Suicide chess, Crazyhouse chess and Losers chess. Below are the playing rules taken from Apple Chess Help. I agree we must stay on to normal chess but playing other variants helps you think different strategies and in a different way (can be helpful).

Crazyhouse

Follows the same rules of movement as chess, with the winner being the first player to checkmate his or her opponent. However, when players capture their opponent’s pieces, they receive the same piece of their color to drop into the game at any time. For example, if a player captures a knight, he or she can later drop a knight anywhere on the board, even if it brings about check or checkmate.

In crazyhouse, a player cannot drop a pawn into the 1st or 8th rank. You can promote a pawn to any piece, but if that piece is captured, it reverts back to a pawn for the capturer’s use.

Suicide

Follows the same rules of movement as chess. The winner is the first player to lose all of his or her pieces or to have no legal move left. Capturing is compulsory: If you can capture an opponent’s piece during a turn, you must do so. If you can capture more than one piece, you can choose which piece. The king holds no special significance, so you can sacrifice it like any other piece; you can promote a pawn to a king; and you cannot castle.

Losers

Follows the same rules as suicide. However, the king holds the same significance as in chess, and players must reply to checking moves first. But if a player mates, he or she loses.

ponz111

I used to play a chess game as a child where white gets one move then black gets two moves and then white gets three move etc. a check would end the series of moves.  play to check mate and usually the games did not last long.

Anyone heard of this?  If so--what is the theoretical result of a game played perfectly? 

ironic_begar

It's called Progressive Chess. I don't know the theory.

lollolbuddha

WHy should i waste time on thaT?

NimzoRoy

The game you described is known as losing chess and White moves first. As for it being a waste of time, I don't see why it's anymore a waste of time than regular chess or any other game if you enjoy playing it. I'd play it here if I could occasionally.

madhacker

I've seen quite a lot of people who play like this in normal chess anyway.

Paprika2215
[COMMENT DELETED]
NimzoRoy
madhacker wrote:

I've seen quite a lot of people who play like this in normal chess anyway.

LMFAO!!

madhacker

Actually I think it should be called emo chess

nerdworks

Negative chess was quite a fun way to get by with a quick game with the chessboard. I went ahead and created an app for this on android if anyone is interested, please take a look :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_ketanh.NegativeChessFree

ponz111

Progressive chess is great fun and it is even good for teaching say high school kids as it helps to think ahead and also you learn mating problems.

[though I am not  so sure we should teach high school kids more of how to mate....]

Tjornan

Wow progressive chess is so much fun. I totally agree with ponz. It starts with white making 1 move, black making 2, white making 3, etc. The only rule is that you have to check with your last move (same with checkmate)

It's an attacking game. Great for seeing mating patterns and other ideas.