Forums

Virrey chess

Sort:
Pulpofeira

I'm not really into chess variants, but I find this one interesting. In the words of its promoter José A. Garzón: 

"I'd like to give my reasons to promote the renovation of chess presented in the book 'Virrey Chess' (Alenar Editors, 2015). Is not only one more initiative in the history of the millenial game. It has its roots, its historical justification and its practical necessity in the same history of chess, especially the last 540 years, the modern age of chess.

The rules are very simple since there's only one modification of classic rules. When promoting, the pawn should adquire the range of the piece wich is on the same file in the initial position. Since this promotion based on the file must be mandatory, any pawn that promotes on e8 or e1 become a piece with the movement of a King, but without its privileges, so it can be captured. This new piece would be named Virrey. The promotion based on file has historical precedents.

We must also spot the current rule about promotion wasn't generally accepted during the first four centuries of modern chess.

This small change conditiones all phases of the game. The endgame is totally renewed, from the basis of all of them, the pawn endgame, because new themes related with the file where the pawn lies (or could reach by capturing another pawn) will arise.

The sister branch of the game, the art of composition, gets a new life. We will see how the Virrey manages right now, with a lot of new creative posibilities to find. This is a composition by Miguel Uris, with a beautiful theme of classical chess set up under the new rules. Old wine in new wineskin".

Pulpofeira

White plays and gives mate in 5 (piece in f6 is a Virrey).

Pulpofeira

http://elajedrezdelvirrey.com/las-reglas-del-ajedrez-del-virrey-virrey-chess-rules/

Pulpofeira

Solution next week!

MSC157

This. Is. Tough.