Forums

Can't Find Something in the New Design? Ask Here!

Sort:
ibiwisi

It's taken me a little while to get used to it, but I like the new design! Many thanks for all of your efforts, chess.com folks.

I have one relatively simple request that would mean a lot to me (and maybe to some others). I mostly play Online Chess. When I'm on the site, I use the "Current Games" screen as my home base -- I always come back to it after making a move in a particular game.

I would love to have a link or button that takes me directly to that page. The most elegant solution would be in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, in the little box that shows my screen name, subscription level, and the "X" for signing off. Currently, when I click on my name, it takes me to the Edit Profile page. This seems like a poor design choice to me. I feel the need to edit my profile maybe once a month. I feel the need to return to the "Current Games" screen maybe 10 times a day!

Ideally, the user would be able to customize the landing page when clicking on his/her screen name. Perhaps you could give 3 or 4 options (e.g., Edit Profile page; Current Games page; Games Archive page), and have a drop-down box that remains set until the user re-sets it.

I completely understand if my suggested solution is more complicated to implement than I give it credit for. If so, can you just add a button or link at some convenient place that goes to the Current Games screen?

If I'm the only user who cares about this, then (channeling Emily Latella), "never mind." But if others also hunger for a one-click return to the Current Games screen, please help us suffering minions!

ibiwisi

Please let me correct my last post. I think that we should use the little hand holding the pawn, rather than the user name, as the link to "Current Games" (or, better yet, as a customizable link to be set by the user).

Here's an alternative option that I would like.  On each current game screen, in the lower-right corner, there's a left and right arrow, with the words "Ready Games" in between.  It would be great if you could make the "Ready Games" field a link to the "Current Games" screen.  That would solve my problem!

Last humble suggestion (for now): I'll betcha that most Online Chess players, like me, use those left- and right- arrows all the time, to move between ready games.  Please, can you put those arrows (perhaps with that "Ready Games" link described above) higher on the page?  I (and others, I assume) use those arrows way, way more than I use the Twitter or Facebook links, so at least it should be above them.  Currently, I need to scroll down to reach those arrows. 

Thanks so much for listening.  I realize that these are very minor points in the big scheme of things.  I also realize that every user has his/her personal preferences, and chess.com obviously can't cater to every one of them.  But I figure that user feedback is helpful, and I offer these suggestions in the spirit of making chess.com the best site it can be. 

oldtimerchessguy
DeepGreene wrote:

We are working toward a more mobile-friendly site in the very near future... but for making moves in your games, you can't beat the iPhone app. 

I am having the same issue. Why is it I didnt have ANY problems playing on my blackberry until last week after a site "upgrade"? Now playing chess on my blackberry is just a hosed proposition. frustrating...wtf?

ibiwisi

Two modifications to my above suggestions.  First, I realize that using the little hand holding a pawn as a link wouldn't work, because that item only appears when I have one or more ready games. I'd like this link to be live at all times.

Second, I discovered that the Current Games screen does not automatically update/refresh when it's my turn to move or when other new content appears.  This is an important feature, and it seems only to work on the Online Chess Home page.  So, I recommend using that as "home base" rather than the Current Games screen.

To summarize, I suggest (1) Turning the "Ready Games" area between the left/right arrows into a hyperlink that leads to the Online Chess Home page [or ideally would be customizable by the user], and (2) "promoting" the "Ready Games" area to a position higher on the screen for easier access.

Thanks again for listening. I'm eager to hear feedback (positive or negative, of course) from chess.com staff and/or from other users re this idea. 

ibiwisi

And now, for something completely different....  I think that my "Time/Move" stat (under "All Games" on the Online Chess Home page) is stuck!  I've made a large number of very quick moves over the past few days, and yet the Time/Move hasn't budged.  I've always liked this feature.  Is it still operational?

gambit-man

FFS, the "Post New Topic" button has gone again.

What is going on?

batgirl

Not a question of finding but of functionality:

There are two issues with the new format that I'd like to see rectified.  Issue 1 is that with the default color applied to italicized words.  When a word is italicized, the color goes to some default (just like this) regardless of the surrounding word color.  While it's possible to change the color of the itlalicized word, it's often very difficult and time-consuming.  There's a sub-issue with this too - the edit page doesn't display the same as the final or preview pages, so one can only know if the manual color change was effective either in the preview or after posting. The application of a default color for italicized words is a goofy, and presumptuous, idea

Issue 2 is the size of the editing area particularly in blogs. When you start a blog entry, to edit one, the area in which you write need to be at least 630 pxs wide.  The default height of the editing pane is too small too, but it, at least can be adjusted... still it would be nice if it was bigger too by default. 

There two issues seems minor, and in the bigger picture they really are, but they are also highly annoying. A headache may not be a serious medical problem, but it's still something I'd rather not have.

Thanks.

giovon1

I have a blackberry, and I play chess threw my opera mini browser. I can't zoom in and out on the board anymore, since the new styling change. I use to press "D" and the view would zoom back so I could see the whole board. Now I can't zoom back off the board. I pressed every button on the phone, nothing works, I can't play effectively, if I can't see the whole board on my screen. Please help!!!! Thx.

giovon1
[COMMENT DELETED]
gambit-man

3 days have passed, no answer.

Has this topic been abandoned by staff? It's been a whole week since any staff member has made a post

netzach

hmm thought the two were linked but re-post here for good-measure ?

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/new-site-design-feedback

@ your problem gambit-man

You don't see this then ? ( on forum page at top RHS. )

gambit-man

another 39 pages of comments to read through? i'll give it a miss, thanksYell

chess_kebabs
gambit-man wrote:

3 days have passed, no answer.

Has this topic been abandoned by staff? It's been a whole week since any staff member has made a post

Probably struggling to keep up with lots of new design related forums on the go, public and in the Feedback group. Erik does comment there from time to time, but it would be difficult to answer every post / issue. I would be trusting they are working hard to fix the most common problems first  and working their way down the list. The most important bugs being those affecting members' ability to play here, over navigational issues. After all it's a chess site, and if we can't play here without problems then no point being here.

gambit-man

i do on this page, but when in any of the groups i'm part of, i have to go into one of the topics to find the button. there is no button when viewing the topic list.

i have a neutral opinion on the 'look' that everyone seems to think is the same as facebook (i don't use facebook or any other social network, so wouldn't know), but the layout is all wrong

[edit] oh, and it's not at the top on any page other than this one, it's ¾ way down the page

Sooner

Where is "Help" now?

netzach

http://support.chess.com/

kohai
Sooner wrote:

Where is "Help" now?

I was away training ... sorry Frown

TadDude
Sooner wrote:

Where is "Help" now?

Your theme obscures the "Help" in the "Help & Support" link at the end of every page.

netzach

:)

Sooner

Thanks, netzach, but how do I access Support Center in the new interface? Isn't there a button I can click that will take me there?