Forums

CP6033 vs. solskytz

Sort:
solskytz

So - in the best and old MSC157 vs. Pulpofeira tradition, we've got ourselves a NEW match starting. 

CP6033 is a young Canadian player, with a 2050 CFC rating. 

As CFC rating is a bit higher than USCF rating, and as USCF rating is a bit higher than FIDE - he is probably a good match for me, with my FIDE 1979 (soon to be - once November's update is out). 

You may remember CP6033 as the one who played the longest game with Magnus Carlsen in the December 2014 simul - and was hair's breadth away from scoring a sensational draw (admitted by Carlsen, too)

and you may also remember, that my own gift to him, of a resignation in an opening position down a pawn (for me) when he accidentally disconnected, and when a draw was enough for him to QUALIFY to play with Carlsen, spurred chess.com to grant ME a place in that simul, owing to my sporting spirit!

We had pretty interesting games and analysis sessions in the qualifiers - we met (I think) a couple of times, and the scene of the fight was around the Petroff opening, where I played the 3...Nxe4 variation with black. I won one, he won one, and he turned out to be a penetrating writer and analyst - things were interesting also on that level. 

So here we start. My schedule is a bit busy so the games will be infrequent - but sooner or later, just like Botvinnik and co., we'll get there. 

For me, it's the first such match in at least 28 years - when I played the "home championship" with my brother (chess.com rather inactive member amirsolsky) and lost, just like Capablanca to Alekhine, 3:6. 

We'll play the first game at some point close to the weekend, once I fight off a certain backlog at work...

forgot to mention - we'll play at a time control of 25/10. 

kleelof

Good luck.

CP6033

My assumption is that games will be posted here and analyzed after we've played them for our own and others interest. 

solskytz

time allowing...

MSC157

Scene stealers! Wink

Gonna watch this to get some ideas against Pulp. :)

solskytz

You guys inspired me immediately! I was always a fan of this "match" idea between amateurs/friends - just never got around to actually do it. Thanks a million!!

P_or

Brilliant!!!

Another match!

I'm backing solskytz.

How many games in this match?

CP6033
MSC157 wrote:

Scene stealers! 

Gonna watch this to get some ideas against Pulp. :)

Ahem! I've been playing these matches for years. Ok I played a few.....Ok I only played 1, but still! 

CP6033

P_or 

The match will be 24 games.

P_or

lol@played 1

I hope u guys play 1. Na3 Laughing

P_or

I just played a great fun game on chess24, the guy was good but not good enough for my 1. Na3 :)

He actually disconnected on my last move :(

I'll post the game... wait

P_or
solskytz

1. Na3 is a valid opening choice.

Nevertheless, <P_or>, I can promise you that you're not going to see it on the board on those games where I will play white :-)

solskytz

In your game, 18...dxe3 is a mistake. Black is much better, up a pawn and with a great position. There is no need to open the f-file for you, activating your rook with tempo, especially in light of that weakness on f7. 

If instead 18...Be6, intending (for example) ...Rac8 and ...Bd5, black would be well on his way to a well deserved win. 

1. Na3 is playable with an idea of 2. c4!, challenging the center - not with an idea of running with the knight all over the board, losing tons of tempi and getting the poor thing trapped right in the center!

Of course, there was also nothing wrong with 8...Bxb4+ which would also win a pawn with an excellent position. But anyway black was doing just fine. 

solskytz

That said, after he took on e3, your continuation was very convincing. You did have a mate in three there on move 23 - just as you suspected - it's called a "smothered mate" as the king is "strangled" by his own "protectors":

It would go - 23. Nh6 double check (so the knight cannot be taken). Now if he goes to f8, then 24. Qf7 is mate, and if he goes back to h8 - then you have the beautiful 24. Qg8+ !! - you sacrifice the queen, but the idea is to create a self-block. 

He can't take with the king, as the queen is protected by the knight on h6 - so he must play 24...Rxg8 - and now you have - 25. Nf7 - mate

The little knight does the final job after the queen gave her life!

You'll end more games brilliantly this way - just make sure it doesn't happen to you :-)

P_or

wow!

I've learnt more in the last 2 posts than I ever have.

Thank you Mr Solsky Laughing

solskytz

I'm happy to help :-)

P_or

When is the first game?

solskytz

Game one will be scheduled, I suppose, for either Friday or Saturday. 

Good chances that game two will also be played over the weekend. 

CP6033

Yup! Time to dust off the books on the Petroff