Forums

Turnaroundchess, how to play hard, and let the child win

Sort:
DjonniDerevnja

Hello, my real name is Erlend Sæteren, and I am new here this week.

I want to tell you about Turnaroundchess.

When you teach small children chess, they are chanceless in the first matches, but for some of them it is good to win anyway.

My way is turnaroundchess. I play as hard as I can, but the child is allowed to turn the board and switch color everytime he/she wants, and if I am standing better, they can inherit this advantage.

I used this on the very strong player, my sisters son Eivind Berntsen, when he was probably 6 years old. After a while he never needed or wanted to turn the board anymore, and a few years later he was top five in Norway for his age (11years?)

Rsava

Can you explain what this teaches them?

Maurill

I suggest this kind of training encourage the beginner to think more about the opponents move and so to anticipate a better position and, with more practise, to anticpate the moves leading to them.

Scottrf
Rsava wrote:

Can you explain what this teaches them?

Every part of chess surely. But mainly how to get a horrible position, flip the board and win.

Rsava

Scottrf - that was what I was thinking also.

Maurill - but how does this do that when they can just turn the board whenver they want to get the better position.

Maurill

I think that children with problems in consideration the opponents move in this way get a first motivation to do this. Of course, this isn´t good on the long run as Scottr mentioned.

But the thread starter will surely write something about this Laughing

DjonniDerevnja

For an adult, not very patient teacher it is boring to crush the kid in very few moves every time, and the kid is not able to see any possibilities.

Children needs a bit fun, such as winning , and feeling succes.

I like to play as good as I can , regardless of opposition, and this game allowes me to have fun. When the board ist turned, I really have to play well to defend myself.

It is both the kid and the teacher that can enjoy this game.

About the long run. The kid will play regular games against other kids, and he will also be so strong that the turning is not interesting. I think Eivind Berntsen

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1509080

is an evidence that this did work. He did never need to turn the board after he was eight, and now he is number 2008 in the world among under 18 players. Believe me, he is terrible for me to play against.

forte06

This seems a very good thing.

DjonniDerevnja

Yes it is a good thing. 3 hours ago I did phone Eivind, and now he was the one to learn me a few moves  :)  I am very proud of having contributed my share catalysing him on the way up to a high quality player.

DjonniDerevnja

The rules is that you can turn the board as often as you like, but in practical playing it never happened to us more than tvice a match. Mostly it was one time, and when he started come close to my strenght, turning was not interesting, and we continued with regular games. After Eivind  joined Nordstrand Chess club in Oslo, Norway he turned terrifying. I really need the turning now to beat him, but instead I prefer getting help from him in the circa  first twelve moves.

gpacx

I think this is a fantastic idea. It's a way for you to play at full strength but it still gives kids the opportunity to see when they are worse or better and to switch the position. There's still a little shame in switching so they realize it's because they got bad position but it doesn't totally ruin the fun.

3FFA

Very cool idea. 

Avrorius
Interesting idea! ;) will give it a try.

I have a pretty energetic nephew, as probably most of the kids, )) so we didn't get far with chess bcs he just doesn't have much patience to even learn the basics. Compared to the digital games, which he plays allot, it's hard to explain chess principles and keep him interested at the same time bcs you just don't see the "action toward end-goal" = clear WIN! as clearly as you do in digital.
Chess is more complex... It's old school :)

What my nephew does have though is interest and motivation (school chess tournament :). So I will give your method a try Erlend! :) Seems like it might just be the thing.

I've tried to teach him chess like my grandfather did with me back in USSR days :) We had some good times playing chess. So whenever I try to teach someone else I just remember how it was/ felt for me back then.

Almost everyone in those days played good chess actually
+ it was also kind of obligatory =>
=> "You must learn and play chess or die of shame!" program :)

Guess it's a culture thing.
DjonniDerevnja

Its nice that you like the idea   :)

Ubik42

I teach chess to kids too, and the few times I have done the board flipping was always a good mutual experience. I need to do it more. 

The problem you face playing kids is that if you constantly crush them, its disheartening. But if you play lousy moves against them, then you arent teaching them anything. Board flipping lets you show them good moves, plus they get a chance to win. So its like 2 wins!

DjonniDerevnja

Today I learned that Michael Tal did play turnaroundchess play a lot.  Michael Tal played turnaroundchess simultanously with friends and neighbours, wifes, and.? But I think he was the one who decided when to turn the board.

Joule5
[COMMENT DELETED]
DjonniDerevnja

Juniper is a very fine beauty!   Smile