Forums

A jam on the long diagonal

Sort:
GargleBlaster

While playing Blitz yesterday I stumbled into the following position (as White):

As you can see, my opponent is preparing the annoyingly obvious plan of Bb7 and Qg2++.  But what to do about it?

Well, I found a strange idea.  Basically, my line of reasoning was that I'd like to play Nd5, exploiting the pin against e7, but after ...exd5 (or just ...Bd8) Rxe7 dxc4 I'd feel a bit silly.   Then I realized that by allowing Black to carry out his plan an unsound but devious trap could be sprung...

Re4!? Bb7?! (...f5 or ...Bf6 was better)
Rae1!? f5?? (...Bf6!)

Cheers,

- Gargle

GargleBlaster

Oh well, I thought it was cute.

NimzoRoy

FIRST!!! yahoo! yay me!

Nice puzzle BTW (esp since I got it) and don't be so impatient - it will probably get more views eventually

NimzoRoy
GargleBlaster

What I liked about the trap was that it deliberately allows Black to carry out his "threat"; one of the funkier aspects of chess is that once in awhile the best thing to do is encourage your opponent :)

NimzoRoy
melvinbluestone wrote:

Oh yeah, 19.Nxe7+ is a check...... Phooey! And I went to all the trouble of posting a diagram. What a fathead!

Yeah it's embarassing to post bogus analysis that gets refuted (and for all to see) but I've posted plenty myself and I'd rather stand corrected than not be aware of my analytical errors