Forums

Post your best miniatures here

Sort:
TheGrobe
Barefoot_Player wrote:

TheGrobe,

Why do you keep trying to come up with new definitions of a miniature?

Just stop already.  Please.

TheElementalMaster
Barefoot_Player wrote:

TheGrobe,

Why do you keep trying to come up with new definitions of a miniature?

What's wrong with keeping a well-defined definition? I'm smiling because a "subjective definition" sounds so oxymoronic ;)

Back to the point. I've seen games under 25 moves that reach an endgame with just one or two pieces and some pawns left. Shall we consider these games miniatures?

How about exciting games that end in a perpetual check?

Under your new proposed definition, it would be YOU who say these types of games are not a miniatures.

Here's an example of the latter.

[Originally published in Rank and File]

barefoot_player
www.TheNewChessPlayer.com 

Miniature:

1. A small chess game (n.)

2. A toy collectible (n. )

3. Very small. (adj.)

Barefoot_Player

Now Grobe,

“You know, it would be good if this whole thing could just be put to bed, including harassing people for posting slightly too long games, and the thread could be refocused on the games themselves.”

is referring to me, isn’t?

And you expect me not to reply back to you? In any case, I am responding back about your “subjective definition”.

Please stop trying to redefine things.

Thanks!

Barefoot_player

PS – Please show us some miniatures. That’s what we are here for! =)

TheGrobe

Again, please stop.

Barefoot_Player

TheGrobe,

Please stop telling me to stop.

I have no idea what you are asking me to stop.

barefoot_player

billwall

Tear down this Berlin, Wall!  Sherlock Holmes and the pesky mate.

TheElementalMaster

White: Me

Black: Some little kid in our college town who thinks hes soooooo good at chess.

Barefoot_Player

TheElement,

Just in case you are interested, this opening is known by many names, among them, THE FRED.

I created a PDF file of 130 games with this opening. You can download this file at :

http://www.thenewchessplayer.com/openings_KP.html

Having said that, I think you missed some faster wins with 12.Qxc7# and 14.Qxc7#.

I did enjoy the game! =)

barefoot_player

tmkroll

Nothing surprising, just calm, accurate play against some psuedo agression by White in the 2 Knights and my shortest game here yet. I thought about not posting this but we have players of all levels looking at this thread, this is a good example of what's wrong with Bxf7 in this line, and clearly there are players who think Bxf7 must be good (or it wouldn't get played on me so often,) so maybe this is post has value.

Robert_New_Alekhine

Just played Bxf7+ against somebody. WHite should play d3 and not Nc3

Robert_New_Alekhine

The Grob and Barefoot Player. THe best thing to do when somebody iis annoying you is to ignore them.

tmkroll

I should have said d3, d4 and Ng5 are all generally considered better than Nc3, though Nc3 can be a dangerous gambit if White follows up with o-o.

billwall

Philidor?  Three Knights?  Scotch?  Two Knights?  Too late.  The queen gets trapped.

batgirl

That was cute. 

Barefoot_Player

I won two miniatures at the same time.

Last Saturday I was playing a casual game at the Orange County Chess Club and produced this short game.

Interesting enough, when I came back home after the meeting I found my opponent resigned at the same time in a thematic match here at Chess.com.

What a good Saturday that was! =)

Barefoot_player

batgirl

Both nice minis, Rob. The second game must have been very frustrating for your opponent; it was like a stangulation, but mercifully quick.

Barefoot_Player

Thanks Batgirl! =)

Cogwheel, you'e right about 5.g7+ being better than the tet move. I hadn't had time to analyze it.

barefoot_player

MonkeyH

aman_makhija
Barefoot_Player wrote:

Aman,

I have cited a number of players and writers have stated that a miniaute is 25 moves or less.

Saying something is 25 moves or less means it it not 30 moves or less.

You keep saying that GM John Nunn says  a miniature is 30 moves or less. This is false. At no time did even Wikipedia make that claim. Please read the quote again. Indeed, Nunn uses the 25 move standard in his books.

Care to take your case to the people who write the Informant? They just came out with a big miniature book this year, with thousands of games. Their standard? 25 moves or less.

Now, it's your turn! ;)

barefoot_player

okay.

Tell me what are you going to do if I want to post a game which is not a miniature by your standards on this thread? Tell me just what will you do to me? What can you do to me? I'm going to keep on posting any games I want and how are you going to stop me?

LoekBergman

@W-Luke: beautiful miniature.