Forums

Calling check

Sort:
Dakongman

I was playing a game with my dad today, i called check when it turned out to be a checkmate. he claims it was a draw because i did not say checkmate but check instead. can someone clarify for me?

ivandh

Your dad is a cheater

goldendog

Don't tell mom.

TrueFiction

haha, at a tounament it would be checkmate still. but tell ur dad good try :)

ivandh

LOL

arumugam7

send your dad to a chess coach before you joinSmile

DonnieDarko1980

You don't have to call anything - in tournament chess it can even be viewed as illegally disturbing your opponent if you call check very often, and when it's mate - it's mate :)

There's even a saying "give every check, it could be mate" - of course this is wrong in the sense of playing the best move, but correct in the sense that a mate is still a mate even if the winner has not seen it himself.

orangehonda

Club players and tournament players don't call check or checkmate (unless they're being cocky).

Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.

Dakongman

lol, thanks all, ill tell my dad hes a lousy cheater =P

cberman

I love when people get all Uno about chess.

IOliveira

Sometimes when the opponent makes an ilegal move and I say "you can't do this, you are in check!" some say "so, why didn't you say check before?"

WTF, I am not your king's baby sitter!

to say (or to hear) check every time is unnecessary, by the rules, and also can be very annoying in some situations.

IOliveira

orangehonda wrote:Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.

What about if you say "I resign" after checkmate or at least "let's draw"???

I know this is nonsense, but if this happens (let's say in an very low rating OTB tournament), will the arbiter interfere?

Because, after all, the checkmate come first, so what ever the players agree after that should not count, right?

ivandh
II-Oliveira wrote:

orangehonda wrote:Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.

I know this is nonsense, but if this happens (let's say in an very low rating OTB tournament), will the arbiter interfere?

Because, after all, the checkmate come first, so what ever the players agree after that should not count, right?

If some guy asked for a draw after I checkmated him, my fist would interfere with his face. But I suppose if both players were unaware that the game was checkmate, then unless the arbiter caught the error, whatever they agreed to would be recorded as the official result.

orangehonda
ivandh wrote:
II-Oliveira wrote:

If some guy asked for a draw after I checkmated him, my fist would interfere with his face. But I suppose if both players were unaware that the game was checkmate, then unless the arbiter caught the error, whatever they agreed to would be recorded as the official result.

Well, that's true.  It's possible we've all heard the stories about scholastic chess and their sometimes wacky endings.  Like agreeing they lost in a stalemate, or agreeing it's a draw when it's checkmate.  But if both players agree and turn in the sheets... kind of like when they make illegal moves and unless their opponent objects you can't mention anything.

JG27Pyth
Dakongman wrote:

I was playing a game with my dad today, i called check when it turned out to be a checkmate. he claims it was a draw because i did not say checkmate but check instead. can someone clarify for me?

Tell your Dad, that after he dies, this is the story you're going to tell the grandkids about him.

TheOldReb

Don't be so hard on your dad !  He simply doesnt know all the rules of chess but may think he does. There are MANY players here who fit that description !  Wink

meanpc

Didn't everybody else's dad try and win games on cheap technicalities?

theoreticalboy
tonydal wrote:
Dakongman wrote:

lol, thanks all, ill tell my dad hes a lousy cheater =P

Actually, I thought he was pretty good at it (very creative).

Nah, when I was in my single-digits and 10s, I thought that was the rule...

MyCowsCanFly

"My house...my rules...go stand in the corner."

Dakongman
Estragon wrote:
JG27Pyth wrote:
Dakongman wrote:

Tell your Dad, that after he dies, this is the story you're going to tell the grandkids about him.

Sure, it will be a good laugh for them as they spend the inheritance he leaves directly to them instead of his ungrateful son.

first off, i didn't say anything so how am i ungrateful

second, i think he would laugh at that