Forums

Can Anyone Become Grandmaster?

Sort:
Ubik42
Phelon wrote:

Hi everyone! It's been awhile, how are you all doing?

Its Phelon. Josh Waitzkin is waiting for you on aisle 12. He wants to know when he can expect his GM certificate, since he worked for it for 9 years while he was an IM.

Ubik42
littledragons wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:
Puanli_Heyecan wrote:
Theoretically yes, practically not!  -- but there is always hope 

I would say the exact opposite. Theoretically not, but practically yes, because there is always the "Houdini in a shoe" technique.

Phelon
Ubik42 wrote:
Phelon wrote:

Its Phelon. Josh Waitzkin is waiting for you on aisle 12. He wants to know when he can expect his GM certificate, since he worked for it for 9 years while he was an IM.

Maybe he shouldn't have just quit training/practicing? Actually quitting speaks more to his chess work ethic than his IM title honestly. He's a great player, he just wasn't willing to put in what was needed to acheive GM. I think he wrote a book about how he just got tired with chess and stopped enjoying it, so he took up martial arts?

Waitzkin could even be displayed as a case where raw talent failed because not enough proper training and chess enthusiasm were present, hurting your side.

Geez though, didn't even respond to my greeting. How rude..

littledragons

hahaha didn't you know? Politeness is a talent!

Ubik42
Phelon wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:
Phelon wrote:

Maybe he shouldn't have just quit training/practicing? Actually quitting speaks more to his chess work ethic than his IM title honestly. He's a great player, he just wasn't willing to put in what was needed to acheive GM. I think he wrote a book about how he just got tired with chess and stopped enjoying it, so he took up martial arts?

Waitzkin could even be displayed as a case where raw talent failed because not enough proper training and chess enthusiasm were present, hurting your side.

"Anyone can become a GM" apparently isnt even falsifiable.

Its a religion now!

Step right up!

Did you become a GM? Thats proof anyone can do it!

You didn't become a GM?

That too is proof anyone can do it!

I winz the internetz!!1!1!!111!

Phelon
Ubik42 wrote:
Phelon wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:
Phelon wrote:

"Anyone can become a GM" apparently isnt even falsifiable.

Its a religion now!

Step right up!

Did you become a GM? Thats proof anyone can do it!

You didn't become a GM?

That too is proof anyone can do it!

I winz the internetz!!1!1!!111!

As you plainly see resistance is futile. 2+2 doesn't equal 5,6,7,8,etc; it only equals 4. Join the collective...

Ubik42

Ubik42
Phelon wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:
Phelon wrote:

Geez though, didn't even respond to my greeting. How rude..

Phelon

I don't think I ever mentioned Waitzkin having a lack of coaching ubik lol. Coaching doesn't automatically equal motivation and effort out of a competitor. In fact didn't Waitzkin supposedly resent how Dvoretsky coached him to play more positionally and less aggressively and attackingly?

Phelon

Seriously do research on the people you bring up. I don't have time to educate you on all this stuff.

Besides I didn't come here to change your belief and value system about the benefits of hard work. I just came to say hello.

Ubik42

Obviously, with coaches like Pandolfini and Dvoretsky, Waitzkin was short changed.

If only....if only he had the backyard professor. Ah, one can dream of the accomplishments.....

Phelon

Oh so now you think it's coaches that make GM's, not individual talent? Keep your arguments consistent mr. :)

Ubik42

Phelon

Ubik42

littledragons

My diamond earrings Keep scratching my iPhone  First World Problems

littledragons

The Most Interesting Man In The World - I dont always wash my hands after i use the restroom But when i do it's because my finger went through the toiletpaper

TheGrobe
Phelon wrote:

And taking offense is the weak person's imitation of righteousness.

littledragons
TheGrobe wrote:
Phelon wrote:

And taking offense is the weak person's imitation of righteousness.

stephen colbert (1478) Animated Gif on Giphy

littledragons

excited (1436) Animated Gif on Giphy

This forum topic has been locked