Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
sakeththth123

defence4gizches  posted   " chesspunk04 wrote......" how he did that help!!!!

waffllemaster
KarlPilkington wrote:

How in hell did this thread go on for 5 years, and how is anyone supposed to follow all of it? :)

......................................................................................

orangehonda wrote:
FifthDimension wrote:

wow this is a huge amount of posts for a really lame question.

Yeah, needed to have a concise and informative answer by staff and then a lock.  Inexperienced forum administrator stickied it without a lock (apparently) and it's just... lol

Dragonbice
justice_avocado wrote:
1361 is higher than 1200. this isn't golf.

LoL, too bad there's no 'Like' button next to the comment :)

nigelnorris

I just played someone and beat him. Our ratings before the game. me 1542, him 1543 - After the game, me 1550 him 1544! He lost against a similar rated player but still improved his rating.

Now he was a new member with only a couple dozen games played so I know his rating will jump about a lot, but it's still difficult to get my head round that calculation.

jrolder

The only game in your history that matches your description of the resulting ratings is Neprajah - nigelnorris. If you check your opponent's history you'll find that their rating was 1558 before the game.

netzach

Your own rating-change was okay. Apparently your opponent was playing another game around the same time which resulted in his rating-changes ?

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=346389021

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=346381984 (your-game)

nigelnorris
jrolder wrote:

The only game in your history that matches your description of the resulting ratings is Neprajah - nigelnorris. If you check your opponent's history you'll find that their rating was 1558 before the game.

No, we played 3 times, consecutive games, I won all three. End of game one his rating went down to 1591. end of game two it went down to 1543, end of game three it had gone back up again to 1544. At least this is the information on my profile page, didn't occur to me to check on his.

netzach wrote:

Your own rating-change was okay. Apparently your opponent was playing another game around the same time which resulted in his rating-changes ?

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=346389021

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=346381984 (your-game)

Oh ok, two games at once makes sense. In fact he did it twice and lost the other, which explains the big jump from 1590 down to 1543.

uhavai

quite afew times my rating has gone up when I have lost and gone down when I have won. Can anyone explain that? Apperrently live chess support system can't. They just ignore the querry. I asked more than thrice.

sara_manju

when we disconnect during the game please take it equal to resignation because in my case without power internet doesn't work. here in india we have unexpected power failures. so please don't take it as violation of fair play policy. because it sounds too harsh for no fault of ours. thank u

Nikhil1020

Well, to me the rating given(1200) is good because when you see people at a much higher rank than you are...probably cuz you are at 0....it will take forever to reach them in a standard game the max you can get is about 300. So if you play then lose then..that would become a problem...so I say that it is a good thing that you get the 1200 rating and if you do bad that's your fault. Then the rating changes from there as on how good you do or on how bad you do.

mznor wrote:

In playing my first game on Chess.com, I received a rating of 1200, before I played. Why, and how was that arrived at?

Shubham764
viswanathan wrote:
turtle wrote: i am starting to understand the rating system, but how do you determine points during a game? are certain peices worth different points? 

turtle, the general points system followed is as follows:

pawn - 1pt.

knight/bishop - 3pts.

rook - 5pts.

queen - 10pts.

of course points are not everything... the position of your piece also matters.. for example you might not mind losing a bishop or rook to save a pawn on the 7th row.. and points dont have any bearing on the game result.. it is just a basic framework to help beginners understand the value of different pieces

isn't the queen worth just 9 points, and not 10?

uhavai

Yes, in my case that is precisely what had happenned. Two or three unexpected disconnections, and my score slid down from 1480+ to 1450.Staff support seems to have pre set questions and answers only. There is no one live who can read individual questions and then answer them.

framer96

Sometimes when I play a game of "Live Chess" and win (or lose) against a higher rated opponent, my rating doesn't change at all. Why does this happen?

Mcleanio

hello im new to this site and the internet and all this stuff and i have a few questions on how to work the site.  if someone could tell me why all my live games start with a draw request? That would be a big help.

Mcleanio

Also im not a member here but the site has placed restrictions on my playing time (5mins between games) because it said i was rude, or wasnt playing fair or something, and i just wanted to let the players here know thatany offense i may caused you by waiting to long to make a move or getting disconnected was not at all intentional.  Ive been onsites where players will do that kind of thing and i find it petty and annoying.  and unsportsman like.

Thank you for your time

jrolder

Mcleanio, I have no idea why your games start with a draw request. A bug, probably - not that chess.com has many of those. Try a different browser.

You probably received the playing time restriction because you let the timer run down in a live game.

wseanscott

New to this site. I have a 1600 plus rating but only have played a few blitz games. Will I get another rating if I play slower time controls? Also where are blitz tournaments advertised?

jrolder

Sean, there are a variety of ratings. There are bullet, blitz and standard ratings for live games and standard/chess960 ratings for correspondence games. You'll find blitz tournaments in the live chess 'tournaments' tab. Tournaments start every 15 minutes or so.

Ira755

openings are very difficult to understand.The chess struggle starts fighting for abstactions.The center space pawn structure piece activity ect. Another words the creation of a plan.Later on in the middle game the game becoms more tangible and clear and concrete.The plan the exists and becomes more tactical.Much more easier to understand but difficult to play less room for error.Obviouly the endgame isthe most difficult to play but easy to understand.very little room for error                           

Ira755

MY point is maybe persons should have ratings for each different portion of the game.