Forums

Does a 1800 rated player normally crush a 1400 rated player?

Sort:
csalami

Kxg2 loses the queen.

acsed
csalami a écrit :

Kxg2 loses the queen.

With Ke3+. Thanks!

Dodger111

Plug in the ratings of both players and this calculates the ELO probability of win/lose/draw.

http://chess-db.com/public/winprob.jsp

Pretty neat, huh?

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Sometimes 1800s play well below their expected level then again it was a casual blitz:

happyface79

Thanks for the great responses! So how do you know when you're gettig better?

happyface79

I mean do you start crushing yor opponents or is it like a pawn up win. Although I guess a win is win

halfgreek1963

400 pt difference higher rated player wins 92%.

tjepie

400 points different means a winning chance for the weaker player of 8 %

300 points is 15%

200 points is 24%

100 points is 36%

500 points is 4%

600 points is 2%

700 points is 1%

735 points is 0%

that is just the basic of the elo rating systeem

Here_Is_Plenty
tjepie wrote:

400 points different means a winning chance for the weaker player of 8 %

300 points is 15%

200 points is 24%

100 points is 36%

500 points is 4%

600 points is 2%

700 points is 1%

735 points is 0%

that is just the basic of the elo rating systeem

You have no idea how upset I was when I read the book by Arpad Elo and realised it wasnt a tribute to Electric Light Orchestra.

Here_Is_Plenty

Actually, looking through the comments, it appears something about the nature of ratings is assumed:  that all 1400 are identical.  Some have good openings knowledge, some are great in endgames, some tire towards end of games, etc.  In particular I am thinking of Ayrshire league where (I normally used to play in Glasgow league and only played there sometimes) there was a fairly static rating pool which was probably underrated, where it seemed like there were about 50 pensioners rated about 1400 who could give a good game to 1700s easily.  The rating only changes relative to the results in the pool it operates in.

Paul_A_88

I disagree - as a 1200 i've beaten many players who were rated 1600+

Here_Is_Plenty

I sort of gave up proper chess a few years ago, except for civil service things.  Life falling apart, etc.

Here_Is_Plenty

Thanks man.  It got a lot better when I sacced my queen.

Wizard_Chess97

I am around 1800 OTB (just below at 1768 USCF currently) and when I play 1400s, they definitely give me a game (especially if they're young up-and-coming kids), but in the end I win. Exceptions are in rapid and blitz games. I've dropped more games to players 1400 and below in G/25 and G/5 tournaments than I would like to remember. In general, the faster the time control, the higher chance a lower-rated player has against a higher-rated one.

badger_song

In relation to this post,what exactly does "crush" mean?

Courtney-P

I usually lose in the endgame to higher rated players but can hang in the opening and middlegame.

happyface79

So a 1480 vs 1480 is even match up?

PLAVIN81

No not normaly

DrCheckevertim
Maroon5fan wrote:

I am around 1800 OTB (just below at 1768 USCF currently) and when I play 1400s, they definitely give me a game (especially if they're young up-and-coming kids), but in the end I win. Exceptions are in rapid and blitz games. I've dropped more games to players 1400 and below in G/25 and G/5 tournaments than I would like to remember. In general, the faster the time control, the higher chance a lower-rated player has against a higher-rated one.

Yeah, I am around 1600, and even 1200s give me a decent game... until they lose.

I_Am_Second

The 1400 wil put up a good fight, and hang around until the late middle game, and them they start to lose there way.