Forums

Height of NOOBNESS

Sort:
TitanCG
steve_bute wrote:I suspect none of you know what "noob" means.
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Barefoot_Player

ww.urbandictionary defines a "noob". See below

II. Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix theirerrors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

I was an English major in college, but dropped when I became interested in psychology and art. Nevertheless, I knew what "noob" meant, other than the word "boon" spelled backwards. Now let's see who knows what a boon is. ;)

barefoot_player

Irontiger

An old-school punishment involving hanging the lazy pupil by the feet ?

(a reverse noob...)

netzach

Never offer draw more than once to your opponent! (even noobs)

TetsuoShima
[COMMENT DELETED]
techron

Obviously a capture would be excluded. I guess for those who want to get their drawer's all tied up for technical definitions can consult a rule book instead of an informal forum.

Pre_VizsIa

@BarefootPlayer: a boon is a good gift, right?

MrKornKid

Hahaha epic game.

Ubik42

Who's boons? Your boons?

xwarriour
HotFlow wrote:

So who won in the end?  

good question!!

@barefoot

my rating bounces around 1400, a draw can always creep up in a more or less equal position since none of the players is an expert.(even if its a gambit)  plus i was playing for a draw to save the game from an inferior position (by creating an outside passed pawn).so i was content to get a draw. i bet he wasnt, thats why he got frustrated and played on.

Barefoot_Player

A “boon” is an archaic, medieval term for a request.

This request can be from a commoner (or any noble, knight, etc.) to a king for a special favor.

The term in literature is more commonly used to describe a request to a knight that must fulfill the request if he agrees to do it, even if that agreement comes before a request. A lesson not to be careless in granting a request (the “boon”) before thinking about it. In other words, use your head!

Barefoot_player

sapientdust

Less archaically, a boon is a blessing or benefit, especially one that that is bestowed upon somebody, and it can still be used today in that sense, unlike the obsolete meaning of boon as 'request'.

Barefoot_Player

Sapiendust,

Like so many words, "boon" has multiple meanings.

I was not only definning  the meaning of the word, but also providing a little history, which you won't see in too many dictionaries. I assume most people who wanted to know the definition(s) of a word, would look up the word in a dictionary, either the bounded book or Internet version. ;)

barefoot_player

Barefoot_Player

Boom maybe you are thinking?

landwehr

what the dickens are you on about?...please explain to an aussie ostrich

Barefoot_Player

HotFlow,

You got me there! I do not why a boat company would use the word “boon” in their name. I do know many boating companies that use words in their names that have nothing to do with nautical or ocean concepts. Here are some to illustrate.

Legend Express Company (Los Angeles - close to my hometown. I don’t think the word “Legend” is a nautical term.)

Bonny Gas Transport (Nigeria – I have no idea what Bonny means in this context)

Red Star Line (Believe or not, this is not a Soviet or Russian line – it was created in 1871 in the US, now of Belgium.)

White Star Line (Yes, this the company that built the Titanic)

And other passenger cruise ships include;

Crystal Cruises, Princess Cruises, Carnival Corporation, and Disney.

So why not shoot off an email to the Boon Boats and ask them how they came up with their name. It would interesting, and maybe even fun, to find out why! ;)

barefoot_player

pt22064

Bonny is a town and port in Nigeria. Crude oil produced in that region is known as Bonny Light.

Barefoot_Player wrote:

HotFlow,

You got me there! I do not why a boat company would use the word “boon” in their name. I do know many boating companies that use words in their names that have nothing to do with nautical or ocean concepts. Here are some to illustrate.

Legend Express Company (Los Angeles - close to my hometown. I don’t think the word “Legend” is a nautical term.)

Bonny Gas Transport (Nigeria – I have no idea what Bonny means in this context)

Red Star Line (Believe or not, this is not a Soviet or Russian line – it was created in 1871 in the US, now of Belgium.)

White Star Line (Yes, this the company that built the Titanic)

And other passenger cruise ships include;

Crystal Cruises, Princess Cruises, Carnival Corporation, and Disney.

So why not shoot off an email to the Boon Boats and ask them how they came up with their name. It would interesting, and maybe even fun, to find out why! ;)

barefoot_player