Forums

How does the titled or 2000+ level players train here?

Sort:
XDave121X

How do you guys train? Well this question is mostly for those who have a full time job or part time job that is not related to chess like engineering or doctor etc but take chess as a serious hobby

I have school right now and i feel like training is really hard. I also want to get high grades in school so i can't just hope i will pass in my grades.

It is easier to train in summer vacation cause i can read books like My System everyday for like 6hours ( still haven't finished it) while right now it's pretty hard.

All i ever do is use a tactic training site online whenever i can right now and that is pretty much it. I don't feel like reading a book anytime soon. Well not at least my school's sports fest and semestral break so i don't have other distractions from my school.

I've been thinking about this for a while and kinda need advice on how to train when there is school and when there isn't ( or jobs if you are a adult).

How do you guys train? I am looking for a schedule and how much time do you put on each area of the game (Tactics,endgame,opening)

What books or programs do you guys use too? ( I don't think a chess engine should be used at my level right now)

What i am using right now and/or planning to use is:

Opening: Chess Opening Encyclopedia ( I really need opinion on this one cause i don't hear this alot from people) , Google (If it isn't in the COE)

Tactics: Chesstempo.com is  my main tactic trainer for the most part and chess.com tactics trainer sometimes

Endgame: Silman's Endgame Course ( Can i just read the book starting from the class C or B pages?)

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual after finishing Silman's book.

Hope someone can help me in training schedule and what materials to use.

I think that i really need a clear and concise way of training, similar to the way that you need to have a clear plan when playing chess.

Sure, the training does not have to be a systematic approach, you can be lazy and only train whenever you feel like it but when you are serious you know how to train seriously just like our World Champion right now. :)

I just need a clear way of training, that is what i am lacking right now.

I hope someone helps me. :/

JagdeepSingh

Did you think everything was FREE?  They charge you for everything.  BTW, in your country there are fantastic chess players who also help each other.  Why not ask them.  If you dont know anyone, try finding a group consisting of your countryman.  I am sure you will find the answers.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

You may want to consider some books between the Silman one and Dvoretsky, such as 100 Endgames You Must Know and different specialized books like Secrets of Pawn Endings and A Practical Guide to Rook Endings by Minev.  There's some overlap between Dvoretsky and Secrets of Pawn Endings so don't let that put you off since refreshers can be welcome. 

For software the basic core of your Convekta stuff should be as follows:

1. CT-Art 5.0 (has CT-Art 4.0 in addition to CT-Art Beginner and Mating Patterns)
  2. Advanced Defense (how to avoid checkmate in the best possible way, calculate your way to equality or even a clear advantage after their attack peters out)
  3. Strategy 3.0
  4. Typical Pawn Structures
  5. Last but certainly not least, Total Chess Ending. 

There are other great programs (such as their Attack on the King series) but isn't in the must have canon of Convekta software.