Forums

How old is chess.com

Sort:
agmlabs

kleelof

Chess.com was founded in 1872. Chess was invented 6 years later.

he he ...OK...other who has proved not to be a Genius.. :(

kleelof
maxwalker2003 wrote:

Chess was invented in like 20B.C. learn yo facts

That's what they would like you to believe.

Modern chess was actually invented in 1969 when the CIA needed a test for candidates to break Soviet codes.

However, it turned out that the Soviets were actually using Captain Crunch decoder rings, so the 'Chess X project' was cancelled and left for us to enjoy today.

notmtwain
agmlabs wrote:

Interesting: wayback Machine recomended. 1996 is what it pops up. However I would say it started in 1995. I tested the site for other websites that I already know and it seems to begin tracking 1 year later. May be due to domain propagation delay? Anyways we are close to 1994-1995.

Yes, the Wayback Machine was not started until January 24, 1996, so it missed out on some of the very earliest versions of the chess.com site.

kleelof
agmlabs wrote:

kleelof

he he ...OK...other who has proved not to be a Genius.. :(

Genius comes in many flavors.

I am the Enistein of omelette making. Laughing

kikvors
MelvinDoucet schreef:

Chessexplained once said he played online against Carlsen in the early 2000's on the ICC. So chess.com is certainly not the oldest chess website around.

ICC was the result of the commercialization by Daniel Sleator of ICS, the Internet Chess Server, which had until then been free and open source. A new open source ICS, the Free ICS (FICS) was started by people not happy with the situation. That happened march 1, 1995 (source: http://www.edcollins.com/chess/fics-icc.htm). I think ICS itself started at some point in 1992. It wasn't a web site, you needed a client (like telnet, or xboard) to access it.

BigLew
Syd_Arthur wrote:

Post #5...hilarious, well done!

Aw shucks! Embarassed Thanks man!

@Kleelof & kikvors:  What are these ICC and FICS servers of which you speak? There are no other places to play chess online. They do not exist, rase them from your memory. Repeat this phrase 100 times daily (or more) ; "Chess.com is the only place to play online chess!"

AussieMatey

Yeah, fantastic imagination BigLew!!!  But I hope 'Niell Armstring' didn't string him along before beating Collins, and I wonder if 'Cindy' was any relation to the Cyndi that sang the song. Smile

agmlabs

chess.com is one the best with many members. However lichess.org offers great tools like analisys right after your game ends, result takes 30 secs at most, it shows you a graphic displaying both players' advantages vs each move. It offers a good analisys set, graphics etc. All for Free.

If you have a .pgn on hand, copy and paste it on this link: www.lichess.org/paste and click "IMPORT GAME". No bad at all. You can create a membership as well for free.

Karamel44

Chess.com is invented in 5899 B.C.

TyrantTick
kleelof wrote:

Love it!

TyrantTick
Karamel44 wrote:

Chess.com is invented in 5899 B.C.

not so funny...

BigLew
AussieRookie wrote:

Yeah, fantastic imagination BigLew!!!  But I hope 'Niell Armstring' didn't string him along before beating Collins, and I wonder if 'Cindy' was any relation to the Cyndi that sang the song.

I didn't know the i and y were reversed.  I'm dyslexic anyway so I never noticed. In 1985 I listened to Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metalica, didn't pay much attention to buble gum pop like Cyndi Lauper.  Now days at age 44 I listen to Bluegrass mostly and sometimes Spanish Flamenco.

Now time for a random dyslexic joke:  I'm a founding member of DNA, the National Dyslexic Association, I helped start the group becouse I felt it was important for us dyslexics to stick together and untie!

And now another:  In college I once dated a dyslexic farm girl. When we broke up she wrote me a John Deer letter!

kleelof

And, yet, another: A dyslexic boy who asks his mother for McDonald's? She said: "You can have one if you can spell it." The boy replied: "Fine, I'll have a KFC!" 

TyrantTick

LOL