Forums

I cant study chess by reading chess book, help please.

Sort:
whittalboy

I've got a chess book which is probably one of the best chess book but I can't really make use of it well. Because, I don't know what each moves are for. Like, there is a diagram and great moves played by GMs and I dont understand those moves... maybe I'm too novice for this book. What do you suggest me to do? Oh, wait, do I just suppose to watch GMs moves? not trying to guess the next move...???

Can anyone give me tips how to tackle a chess book??

orangehonda

Playing over GM games without annotations is fairly useless below the master level.

If you don't understand the book, then you're right, it may be too advanced for you right now.  You may want to get a book aimed at your level of play.

-X-

I haven't really tried many books but if I was going to get one, I would start with "Chess for Dummies" or something similar, and work my way up from there.

shuttlechess92

I used to just go through bobby fischer's games on chessgames.com one by one till I pretty much knew how he played. Memorizing a couple games won't hurt. But you definitely don't need books to improve.

orangehonda
shuttlechess92 wrote:

I used to just go through bobby fischer's games on chessgames.com one by one till I pretty much knew how he played. Memorizing a couple games won't hurt. But you definitely don't need books to improve.

Umm, I guess not, but it sure makes it easier to improve!

bomtrown
I'm working on figuring out how all the pieces work together and also how they work against each other...how all the pieces interact. It has something to do with creating conflicts and resolving conflicts and coming out better after exchanges. Playing against the computer and getting mercilessly beaten encourages me to keep working on better understanding how the pieces interact with each other and also how games progress from position to position. I found books were not helping me much unless you want to focus on specifically what the book is explaining or presenting.
bomtrown
[COMMENT DELETED]
whittalboy

never mind, I read over again and I got it and found interesting and fun. But maybe later in the page, there is still a chance that I may get confused. Thanks for the comments guys