Forums

IQ and FIDE rating

Sort:
WannaPlayLot

University of MIT (Merely Incompetent Teachers) publish first ever formula for calculating IQ score from an official FIDE rating!

Here it is:

IQ = (FIDE rating/20) + (375/age in years)

Unfortunately it is only valid for ages 10 - 50.

Magnus Carlsen's IQ is therefore around 160.

TheGrobe

Totally off -- Rating = (IQ * 200) - 800 which supports Fischer's 180 IQ claim (giving him a 2800 rating) and explains why chess.com starts everyone at 1200 (corresponding to the average IQ of 100).

WannaPlayLot
TheGrobe wrote:

Totally off -- Rating = (IQ * 200) - 800 which supports Fischer's 180 IQ claim (giving him a 2800 rating) and explains why chess.com starts everyone at 1200 (corresponding to the average IQ of 100).

Of course it does - it was produced by MIT.

MSC157

Haha, I love your jokes WPL. My IQ is therefore 109,7. Not bad! :)

TitanCG

The formula must assume that people live to only play chess barring all distractions, culture issues, exposure to the game and lack there of, monetary issues, ability to travel to countries that host FIDE tournaments, and pretty much all other humanly possible reasons that a chess rating may be lower or higher than it could be. 

Ok.

godofmortals

According to these statistics, my iq is in the 40's. I know declare myself officially brain dead.

ChezBoy

Mine is 162 and I'm only 1400Tongue Out.

pelly13

Do I really have a negative IQ : -23

pelly13
BorgQueen schreef:

Maybe... your math seems to indicate it ^_^   

What is a math ? Didn't even know I had one ? So , I have an IQ and a math , but what do I do with it ?

pelly13
BorgQueen schreef:

Don't worry about it, you wouldn't understand.  

But hey, then again, neither would I since my IQ is only 8.15.  Actually, I had a birthday, so now my IQ is 7.

I thought IQ stood for Indian Queens , a kind of reversed QI . So you need this math thing to rate something ? Do I have that , a rate ? I'm asking you because I think you must be smart , I mean 8.15 is more than -23 because there are more digits in it.

macer75

I don't know what my IQ is according to that formula, because I don't get it.

pelly13

I am 48 and have an IQ of -23 but have no rating. My opponent is 33 years old and has a rating of 2247 but has no IQ.

Who will have the highest probabillity to win a game played between them?

*) Edited by my secretary.

pelly13
harryz schreef:

read again. its only valid for ages 10-50

It was not an answer to my question.

ShsdCloud

stupid. my iq is only 42 than

macer75
shsdshsd wrote:

stupid. my iq is only 42 than

42 than what?

ShsdCloud

42 is my iq

ShsdCloud

that is a stupid formula it does not even work. my real iq is somewhere around 150

pelly13
harryz schreef:

read again. its only valid for ages 10-50

I know that. But who has the highest probability to win a game played between them ?

To satisfy you , I will lie and tell that I'm 50 , no 49 to be safe. I will tell my secretary to edit the original post.

macer75
BorgQueen wrote:

I think it's quite obvious that it's a mega-stupid formula that just doesn't work.  There is no correlation between IQ and FIDE rating at all, so no formula can work.

It's meant to be a joke.

bean_Fischer
WannaPlayLot wrote:

University of MIT (Merely Incompetent Teachers) publish first ever formula for calculating IQ score from an official FIDE rating!

Here it is:

IQ = (FIDE rating/20) + (375/age in years)

Unfortunately it is only valid for ages 10 - 50.

Magnus Carlsen's IQ is therefore around 160.

Anand (2775, 40 yrs old): IQ = 147.27

Carlsen (2870, 23 yrs old): IQ = 159.80

Rating 1600:

10 yrs old : IQ: 117.5

20 yrs old : IQ :98.75

Rating 2000:

10 yrs old : IQ :137.5

20 yrs old : IQ : 118.75

Rating 2600:

10 yrs old : IQ : 167.5

20 yrs old : IQ : 148.75