Forums

Is Tactics Trainer Enough...

Sort:
Benedictine

...to equip a player with strong tactical vision? if used correctly; not rushing, taking your time with each position etc, etc.

Personally I do spend a lot of time on it and do think it's helping my tactical vision a great deal. I wondered if an even larger amount of time spend on TT would be a good investment of time. What do you think?

x-5058622868

It probably depends on the person. It would be wise to not neglect other mechanics of the game. 

DrCheckevertim

It's helped me a lot! Cool

I prefer it (and videos) over chess books.

skinnypurpleducks

YouTube videos

Benedictine

Excellent.

Of course I'm not talking about using TT to the exclusion of everything else! Analysing your own losses, playing through master games, reading chess books...getting a strategic understanding is obviously important. I wondered if in the slot you devote to studying tactics, clearly exteremely important, if TT was enough or should there be other methods of tactical study, aside from the ideas you get when playing through games?

One criticism I had last week on TT was the lack of defensive puzzles. But now I'm not so sure if this is an issue.

Immoney5252

http://www.lumosity.com/knowledge-center/brain-reference/response-inhibition

This is bound to help...I just subcribed...and its useful....going to try it for a year and see what occurs...

ticcherr

benedict u still didnt let me in ur group...

DrCheckevertim

I'd wonder what a titled player has to say about this. Is Tactics Trainer enough for our tactics training??

plutonia
Benedictine wrote:

One criticism I had last week on TT was the lack of defensive puzzles. But now I'm not so sure if this is an issue.

At around 2000 rating you start seeing some defensive problem, but more importantly you start seeing your attacking tactics with some defensive resource for the opponent that you have to prevent/avoid.

This trains you even on how a tactic can be defended against.

Personally I think TT is all you need to learn tactics, you just need to spend enough time on it.

Benedictine
plutonia wrote:
Benedictine wrote:

At around 2000 rating you start seeing some defensive problem, but more importantly you start seeing your attacking tactics with some defensive resource for the opponent that you have to prevent/avoid.

This trains you even on how a tactic can be defended against.

Personally I think TT is all you need to learn tactics, you just need to spend enough time on it.

OK that makes sense. I suppose it is only natural that more subtle defensive moves float to the higher levels.

I'm glad you think TT is enough for tactics work as I'm spending quite a lot of time on there.

Immoney5252
Estragon wrote:

Is a hammer enough to build a house?

Tactics trainer is a tool.  It's a good tool, but you can't rely on just one tool to learn something as rich and complex as chess tactics.  The timed and graded puzzles help prepare you to spot tactics with the clock ticking.

Experience is the best teacher in anything, so the primary way you learn tactics is by playing slow enough games to recognize tactics for you AND your opponent and use them as part of your arsenal and avoid falling to them.  Go back through your games later and see what you missed.

Also other types of puzzles and endgame studies are good for developing tactical vision.  Use all the tools at your disposal.

I think Estragon is spot on...^

bobbyDK

it seems like a good idea to spend a lot of time on time on Tactics however if you do not study the opening and survive the opening you will never use the tactics in game.
you need to be able to find the optimal places for your pieces in order to make tactics work. good piece placement is key in order to set up tactics.
if you have a closed position and you have two bishops in the middle game you are not likely to get a tactical shot.

General_Lee

I think that Tactics trainer (TT) is something that has a lot of non-practical positions. Some of them will possibly be seen in an OTB game but most won't be. I recommend studying openings more than anything. Because if you can crush your opponent in in the opening then it will be difficult for them to get uncrushed. Tactics though are important, but personally tactics trainer has not helped me at all. And I have been rated 2400 on TT before. I just think it depends on who you are a lot though. Openings/Ending and whatever books you can find on the middlegame of the openings you play.

plutonia
General_Lee wrote:

I think that Tactics trainer (TT) is something that has a lot of non-practical positions. Some of them will possibly be seen in an OTB game but most won't be. I recommend studying openings more than anything. Because if you can crush your opponent in in the opening then it will be difficult for them to get uncrushed. Tactics though are important, but personally tactics trainer has not helped me at all. And I have been rated 2400 on TT before. I just think it depends on who you are a lot though. Openings/Ending and whatever books you can find on the middlegame of the openings you play.

I think TT positions are ALL taken from real games that members submit. I don't think there's somebody designing them.

And of course many other aspects of the game are important: tactics are the servants of strategy.

But this thread's question was if TT as a tool was all that you need to become good at specifically the tactical aspect of the game. I think the answer is yes, because all you need to do is getting used to patterns, and TT is excellent for that.