Forums

Millionare Chess Tournament in Las Vegas at October 2014

Sort:
sisu
BMeck wrote:

Chess is boring to people that do not understand what is going on. So lets say chess gets put on televison. You will get the same people watching it there that watched it online. Chess is not audience sport. Let us use American Football as an example. Every play is a mini outcome. You do not need to understand much to know when a team is doing well. Now in chess you need a pretty big understanding to know when a player makes a blunder. Even if you are told it is a blunder, you wont understand why. Even if you are told why, it still wont make sense unless you a pretty good understanding of the game....

Just like American Football is boring to people that don't know what is going on. In fact in this paragraph, substitute "Chess" for "American Football". Understand the rules and enjoy the game. But totally irrelevant reasoning as to why a tournament should or should not be held. Those that understand and love the rules will play, while those that don't will probably stay away.

BMeck wrote:

Once again this is just another tournament. The only difference is the money is bigger. Instead of putting his money into this, Ashley should have invested in having elementry schools "teach" chess. Even if it is only a few times a week. THAT is good for chess because it introduces new people to the game. That will not make him any money though. I will bet he is making a pretty penny off of this. I guarantee he is getting a percentage from the hotels if you use the code. I also bet he is finding other ways to convince people to give him some money since he is bringing business to the city.

So let's get to the real points of your argument. 1) You're jealous that he could be making money. He can do whatever he likes with his money, and make whatever tournament he wants. He probably already invests in chess development. Get over it. And 2) The regulations are bad because my chances of winning a prize are not good. ---> Improve your chess then, don't move the goalposts. Ashley certainly won't be.

BMeck wrote:

I will finish with saying I like the idea of the tournament. Everyone loves big money, but this tournament is far from a big deal. It is not going to revolutionize chess. Want to know how it could though? Dont allow anyone over 2000 to play and make the rating groups only 100 points apart i.e 1900-1999, 1800-1899... then do >999. That will give you a prize fund of almost 100,000 for each group. More people will join because the rating groups are so close. Then just make rules where if you win a group you cant play in the same group next time no matter your rating. I imagine this would attract a ton of people because even people that arent very good at all could have a top prize of 40,000 0r 50,000.

Until someone tries such a tournament, what do we know about it in practice? Zip. Perhaps he will make changes for the next one, perhaps not. Maybe it will revolutionize chess. Trying to change the regulations now is not going to work, the tournament is in full swing. The great thing about this tournament is that the prizes are large. Enjoy.

BMeck
sisu wrote:
BMeck wrote:

Chess is boring to people that do not understand what is going on. So lets say chess gets put on televison. You will get the same people watching it there that watched it online. Chess is not audience sport. Let us use American Football as an example. Every play is a mini outcome. You do not need to understand much to know when a team is doing well. Now in chess you need a pretty big understanding to know when a player makes a blunder. Even if you are told it is a blunder, you wont understand why. Even if you are told why, it still wont make sense unless you a pretty good understanding of the game....

Just like American Football is boring to people that don't know what is going on. In fact in this paragraph, substitute "Chess" for "American Football". Understand the rules and enjoy the game. But totally irrelevant reasoning as to why a tournament should or should not be held. Those that understand and love the rules will play, while those that don't will probably stay away.

BMeck wrote:

Once again this is just another tournament. The only difference is the money is bigger. Instead of putting his money into this, Ashley should have invested in having elementry schools "teach" chess. Even if it is only a few times a week. THAT is good for chess because it introduces new people to the game. That will not make him any money though. I will bet he is making a pretty penny off of this. I guarantee he is getting a percentage from the hotels if you use the code. I also bet he is finding other ways to convince people to give him some money since he is bringing business to the city.

So let's get to the real points of your argument. 1) You're jealous that he could be making money. He can do whatever he likes with his money, and make whatever tournament he wants. He probably already invests in chess development. Get over it. And 2) The regulations are bad because my chances of winning a prize are not good. ---> Improve your chess then, don't move the goalposts. Ashley certainly won't be.

BMeck wrote:

I will finish with saying I like the idea of the tournament. Everyone loves big money, but this tournament is far from a big deal. It is not going to revolutionize chess. Want to know how it could though? Dont allow anyone over 2000 to play and make the rating groups only 100 points apart i.e 1900-1999, 1800-1899... then do >999. That will give you a prize fund of almost 100,000 for each group. More people will join because the rating groups are so close. Then just make rules where if you win a group you cant play in the same group next time no matter your rating. I imagine this would attract a ton of people because even people that arent very good at all could have a top prize of 40,000 0r 50,000.

Until someone tries such a tournament, what do we know about it in practice? Zip. Perhaps he will make changes for the next one, perhaps not. Maybe it will revolutionize chess. Trying to change the regulations now is not going to work, the tournament is in full swing. The great thing about this tournament is that the prizes are large. Enjoy.

You did not get the point of my analogy. You could take a day and explain American Football to someone and they will be able to watch it. You could study chess for 10 years and still not understand moves that a super GM makes. 

I respect Ashley. I respect anyone who makes large sums of money off their intelligence. I am hardly jealous and I never said they should cancel the tournament. I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Ashley is not doing anything special for the sport. He is just holding a high stakes tournament. 

Until someone tries anything, you will not know about it in practice. That is self explanatory. I just simply gave my opinion on a tournament idea that I feel will pull more people into playing chess.

If you are going to comment, please add something to the discussion. Do not just state obvious points. Give your opinion on why or why not the tournament is "good" for chess. 

BMeck
ashikuzzaman wrote:
BMeck wrote:
ashikuzzaman wrote:

@BMeck, while i disagree with your guess or analysis in the last comment, I was trying to point your attention to something else than what you are referring to. My point is, you have decided that Chess can not be popular to more people than what audience chess already have. I was trying to explain that, no matter what logic you put (chess is tough to understand etc), its not that impossible (even despite people not understanding it). USCF and in general chess world have been working on it in many wings to present chess at school level kids which will improve the situation anyway in future. But irrespective of all that, if you think something is impossible, you are never going to make it possible. When people like Maurice refuses to accept those as impossible and see some potential to make those possible - you may disagree with - but lets salute him and support such initiative instead of labelling what a foolish impossible task he has taken in hand. Nothing changes if you dont try. It doesn't mean everything changes if you try, of course....

I gave two reasons on how to make it possible. I will admit, my idea of a tournament would be extremely difficult to have. I will not salute him because he is not doing anything special. Explain to me how this event is "good" for and will "revolutionize" chess.

BMeck, I easily forgot your proposal for improvement which I thought is not viable ro practical enough and hence forgot about those. No, I dont think your prescrioption is better but definitely better than doing nothing else and let chess tournaments go the way its going now in USA. Because I think the MCO has better offers than what you proposed I am with MCO.

Why wouldn't a high stakes amateur tournament be better than MCO, if it follows the same guidelines as MCO i.e. $1,000 entry fee? The way to make chess more mainstream is getting more players involved. My idea will do just that. It will be hard to establish the rules, but nothing easy is worhtwhile.

WanderingPuppet

the way to make chess more popular is to make it attractive and fun. a one million dollar prize fund + perks will do that for some people, hence 535 registrants despite suboptimal timing of the event IMO (not the entirety of the event is over holiday!).

i think events like USATE (US Amateur Team East) are so much fun, which gets enormous participation and even the opportunity to play strong players (in that tourney, I've played Christiansen, Onischuk, noted author Carsten Hansen twice (against whom I scored a nice win and a not so great loss), etc), .  in general i feel that team events seem to be constructive to chess culture.  speaking of which, the olympiad looks like terrific fun too.

rTist21

Too bad we can't tell very easily which players are from which states. It'd be interesting to see which states are best represented at this event.

woton

You will be able to see that when the rating report is available on the USCF's website.

SmyslovFan

California is usually the most heavily represented state in Las Vegas tournaments. 

ashikuzzaman
SmyslovFan wrote:

California is usually the most heavily represented state in Las Vegas tournaments. 

Cool

I guess having California's (state flag) near players tables is a good idea to increase competition and support from audience / followers. It may be a good idea for the MC App too. By the way, did you guys check out the MC App? I wonder how come its the first of its kind and no one else took this initiative earlier?

small_potato

I can't check out the MC chess app because like the vast majority of mobile device users, I use android. I suppose its just another way that this is an american event, marketed in an american way, for americans.

Bulla
small_potato wrote:

I can't check out the MC chess app because like the vast majority of mobile device users, I use android. I suppose its just another way that this is an american event, marketed in an american way, for americans.

I don't understand.  You use android but you say you can't check out the app?  What problem are you having with downloading the app from the google play?

bangalore2

I think he's saying it isn't on Google Play.

Bulla

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.doubledutch.millionairechess

bangalore2

Whoops. I stand corrected.

small_potato

Me too, although I did a search for "millionaire chess" in google play and didn't find anything, and the Facebook link on the millionaire chess fb page only mentioned the iOS version. Strange.

small_potato

Actually the app is quite good, I'm quite impressed with the effort they have gone to. Although I won't be buying a $56 bag because it has "millionaire chess" written on it ☺

Bulla
rdecredico wrote:
small_potato wrote:

Actually the app is quite good, I'm quite impressed with the effort they have gone to. Although I won't be buying a $56 bag because it has "millionaire chess" written on it ☺

Wise cause they gonna be a lot cheaper come November.

Your comments always seem to be stated as fact rather than an opinion.  The price is good until Oct 15th and you would know that if you care to look it up before making posts just for "fun."

Doggy_Style
small_potato wrote:

Although I won't be buying a $56 bag because it has "millionaire chess" written on it ☺

You Sir, are no friend of chess! Laughing

Bulla

LOL...so not only do you state your opinions as undeniable fact you also are a psychic and can predict verbatim what others will say.

ashikuzzaman

In today's New York Times article on Millionaire Chess Open - I, my son Ahyan and my wife Shusmita got mentioned!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/us/millionaire-chess-to-hit-las-vegas-in-gambit-to-raise-games-profile-with-big-prizes.html?_r=3&referrer

SocialPanda

The part where Mr. Uzzaman is mentioned:

Ashik Uzzaman, 38, a software engineer who is also from California, was one of the first 76 entries, along with his son, Ahyan Zaman, 7. It will be a family vacation for them, along with Mr. Uzzaman’s wife, Sushmita, and their daughter, who is 3.

“This is our passion and our hobby,” Mr. Uzzaman said. But there was another reason that he wanted to play, and particularly for his son to participate. He said that people who were willing to spend so much money on the entry fees were really committed to the game and that would create a special atmosphere that was different from other tournaments.

That is exactly Mr. Ashley’s goal. “I hope this will catapult chess to the next level,” he said.

Ms. Lee said that Millionaire Chess “may be crazy to a lot of people, but someone has to be the forward-thinking person.”