Forums

Possible win to chess for Television rights.

Sort:
George1st

Do not take my view as an attack. Just a view.

How could free to air tv even contenplate replacing any sitcom broadcasting nightly......and a possible length spanning 1 hour?

I enjoy a game of chess here and there but watching 1 hour2 people looking at a chess board, is simply ridiculous. I can't imagine top GM's  even thinking it may be ok?

I want to try and stop this event from taking place.

All I need is everyone that reads this, to please state their own views, I this forum as the first step in the right direction.....

Thank you for your support!

msimx

I dont see why chess tv would have to be constant stream of gm games that last for hours. Just few videos of TheBackyardProfessor are more interesting then 90% of the trash on nowdays tv even you could say his games are not on the gm level but still high enough. Mix it with everything interesting/fun about chess which could also include documentaries, interviews and so on and add some top games and it could be a decent tv.

ChrisWainscott

A lot of people seem to think that chess on tv would have to be a live broadcast of a game.  Why not think of it in terms of "GOTD" on ICC during major tournaments?

Condense a five hour game into 30 minutes of fast paced action and it just might work...

zslane
Maybe. But if ESPN hasn't figured out how to present the game for television and monetize it as a spectator sport, then chances are it simply isn't suitable as such, at least not for American viewers. I think that in the U.S., putting chess on tv like they do for shogi in Japan would be regarded as extremely niche and almost pointless.
George1st

I think I probably should have put more thought into posting this forum.

My views do not seem to be shared, I hadn't put that into the equation.

Any suggestions anyone on how I could possibly make the television executives see it how I do?

zslane
In the United States there is nothing you can do to reach "tv executives" unless you are known to them already as a successful show runner. Your best bet is to produce a show yourself on the web, have it acquire a huge and devoted following, post large revenue figures, and then reach out to an agent who can pitch the show to a television production company. In America, getting a movie financed or a tv show produced by a major studio or network is next to impossible, particularly for outsiders. That's why you almost always have to go the independent production route first.
JoseDK

The future of "chess TV" is DiY streaming. Right now it's Twitch -- still pretty primitive, just a guy showing himself playing someone else on ICC or something. But there are guys who stream World of Warcraft and other popular action games and seem to make money doing it. 

George1st
JoseDK wrote:

The future of "chess TV" is DiY streaming. Right now it's Twitch -- still pretty primitive, just a guy showing himself playing someone else on ICC or something. But there are guys who stream World of Warcraft and other popular action games and seem to make money doing it. 

Cheers!