Forums

Question for players with ratings above 2000

Sort:
Feufollet

How long do you think it will take you to reach GM level?

And do you ever have off days or week where you are just not playing at optimum level and losing games you shouldn't be losing - one right after the other?

And when you realize that you are having a bad day or week do you push the pause button and resume playing only when you are 100% again?

notmtwain
BlackLeopard-1 wrote:

And do you ever have off days or week where you are just not playing at optimum level and losing games you shouldn't be losing - one right after the other?

And when you realize that you are having a bad day or week do you push the pause button and resume playing only when you are 100% again?

By all means, take some time off until you feel like playing again.

You didn't include some relevant information that you included in a previous thread.  

from a previous thread  http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/how-good-is-ones-likelihood-of-becoming-a-gm?   :

BlackLeopard-1  

notmtwain wrote:

You don't give much relevant information.  How old are you? Do you play in OTB tournaments? Do you take lessons and study your losses? How much do you really study? 

If you have "love for the game and a determination to win", you are stuck with us, regardless of whether or not your rating ever gets much higher . You might as well make the best of it and study hard.

I played for a year when I was 14...made it to High School State Championship..then haven't played since in over 3 decades...

I suffered brain injury in my 20s...concentrating is a real challenge for me now.

I just started playing again here on chess.com. A few hundred games now ... I don't know if I can ever break the 2000 rating level or even 1800...am giving myself 2000 more games to play....if I appear to stagnate at some "permanent" level - I will give up playing and move on to something else.

Edit:

I say this because the first time I started playing chess at age 14, I pretty much beat every single player I came across after I learned how to play the game. That's how I made it to State Championship.

But the last 400 games I played here on chess.com reveals that I'm really sucking at it....I can't draw on my powers of concentration anymore like I did when I was 14.

Till_98

Im probably getting my GM title tomorrow

Feufollet

@notmtwain

I didn't include information because I don't think it's relevant to the questions...

I have the suspicion that GMs are brain power houses ...their brains don't get foggy or "go dark"....their concentration powers are superb and don't wax and wane depending on what day it is...

Don't know... maybe a GM here can tell me if they get days where they are going through "mechanical brain failure" so to speak....

I suppose that if they answer "no" they don't experience "mechanical brain failure"...I could just quit chess now and not waste my time since it happens to me on a regular basis  I probably never would be able to get to a GM level...

Feufollet
Till_98 wrote:

Im probably getting my GM title tomorrow

Hey congratulations on getting there when you get there!

thecentipede

Spectator94

I am slightly over 2000 now (20 years old) and I'd be really satisfied should I ever reach the FM title (2300). I study a lot and more importantly I actually feel and see in my rating I am still making steps. So will just see where it ends, as long as I like the game it's fine for me.

Feufollet

ok. thanks fiveofswords.

You will be the second person who've said this.

I did take this advice from another member here and studied a few games of the sicilian defense and it's helped my game.

Will continue to do that.

I've stagnated between 1600 - 1680 for 3 months now...and that bugs the shit out of me.

EricFleet
BlackLeopard-1 wrote:

Half past never

Days, yes. Weeks, no.

I study a lot between games, so no.

Feufollet

what's your problem centipede? Your post#7 doesn't belong...could you be civil?

stocksAndChess1

First aim for 2000! Then 2200, 2300, etc

Smaller goals are more less intimidating

Feufollet

seems like studying is the key from what you all are saying...

@linlaoda

been hoping to break 1700 for 2 months! Embarassed

thecentipede

be nice 

Scottrf
BlackLeopard-1 wrote:

seems like studying is the key from what you all are saying...

@linlaoda

been hoping to break 1700 for 2 months!

You wanted GM in a few months?

Spectator94

Could studying really be the key ?

Feufollet

no, not in a few months....just want to know if I even have what it takes to try...

Feufollet

I don't know if studying is the key...you asking me serotonine? LOL

fiveofswords says lack of stubborness and willingness to actually go to tournaments are also required

thecentipede

in the last 20 years of playing chess otb, and very little actual studying ive got to 170 ecf rating (roughly 2000 FIDE), so im sure a lot of others who have more skill and natural ability could do better without the studying, but the studying will definitely help

Feufollet

how many hours do you study a week centipede?

thecentipede

none. i turn up at the club, play my games, ill go through my game after and see where i went wrong, then nothing else till i go again.