Forums

Relative Pin

Sort:
batgirl

Here's a position I just had as Black.
My opponent played Ne4 for some reason, but, obviously, wasn't expecting the Knight on f6 to move.
A relative pin can lead to surprises if you're not careful. The surprise cost him an entire piece and eventually the game.

DrFrank124c

This is always something worthwhile keeping your eye open for. A piece may be pinned against the Queen but can you make a threat with the pinned piece that's worth the value of the Queen or possibly mating the opponent? This is a question you should ask yourself whenever your piece is pinned. I've noticed such a position occurs sometimes in the King's Gambit Declined.  

Cuffley

That is great, Batgirl!  Watch out for the same in the B3 knight slipping out of a relative pin on the Q1-R4 diagonal, to land on K5 in "Legall's Mate."  Nice.

Cheers,

Becky

Grandmasta23
[COMMENT DELETED]
Grandmasta23
 Ignore the comments but this is a way to win a pawn due to a pin
mvtjc

@Grandamasta23 I agree with you, I've used this variations a lot of time, but I think it would only work to amateur players since most professional players can avoid traps in the opening.

Cuffley

That might be true, but how many professional players do you usally play? 

Cheers,

Becky

BruceJuice

These are so easy to miss sometimes. Here is one that cost me.

DrFrank124c
Grandmasta23 wrote:

Ignore the comments but this is a way to win a pawn due to a pin

Not only does white win a pawn but the knight now enjoys a strong position black's king is exposed. This position occurs in several different openings so it pays to keep your eyes open when playing those openings.