Forums

Stuff Non-Chess Players Say

Sort:
noahs_dad

My last defeat on turn based chess on my record is all of 8 moves! To echo camberfoil it really does happen to all of us.

camberfoil

Indeed it does

camberfoil

Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw drawdraw draw draw draw

noahs_dad

this is tricky because the grid ref is wrong way round? i.e. 4. Be7 should actually be Bd2 I am guessing. Anyway, using your grid ref...

After 4. Be7, black can now play Nxg5. After 5.fxg5 Ke5 and black should easily pass a pawn, and even if he some can't once the bishop is off, black can mop up whites g + h pawns and pass his own g + h pawns.

noahs_dad

Its a win all day long for black, with best play anyway.

chessplayer31415926

My chess engine says white is winning with the move f7

noahs_dad

How is f7 even possible?

Omicron

Black wins that position. Set it over the board and try it out. Just move the knight over to c3, then the King to d5 and from there you can sacrifize the N for the b4 pawn and then step up with the king and just make the poor bishop cry. It depends on what white tries, but there are lots of winning resources for black.

dragonair234
noahs_dad wrote:

How is f7 even possible?

Haha I was wondering that too

colinsaul

f7 is possible; if you have the board upside down!

Chicken_Monster

i think White is about to queen all pawns....if you look at it that way... i think people are drinking right now...drinking and chess don't mix...

akafett

I don't intend to interupt this game analysis....well, yes I do. But that's beside the point. I just found something out that some of you long-time chess veterans (like December and Dragon) may already know.

Caffine, being a toxin, is something your body tries to get rid of quickly when it's in your system. When this process is going on, your concentration level drops.

So, the next time you're at the cafe playing a few rounds, be nice and treat your opponent to a quadruple shot of expresso.

You may now continue discussing how on Earth you can play f7 in the game mentioned above.

Chicken_Monster
akafett wrote:

I don't intend to interupt this game analysis....well, yes I do. But that's beside the point. I just found something out that some of you long-time chess veterans (like December and Dragon) may already know.

Caffine, being a toxin, is something your body tries to get rid of quickly when it's in your system. When this process is going on, your concentration level drops.

So, the next time you're at the cafe playing a few rounds, be nice and treat your opponent to a quadruple shot of expresso.

You may now continue discussing how on Earth you can play f7 in the game mentioned above.

Interesting. I have actually noticed problems with my thinking when I am pounding coffee. It's not as bad as alcohol though. Anyway, I wonder if a moderate amount of caffeine helps. Maybe this should be another thread. So you were saying, f7 then...??

Chicken_Monster
akafett wrote:

Source?

akafett

I actually heard that on the radio on my way to work. It was a study conducted at a university. I want to say Duke or Wake Forest, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and f7 is block, I believe, by the white pawn. Thus, black's pawn cannot move there.

noahs_dad

lol, now its an entirely different puzzle! It certainly helps having the right grid reference :)

I am having my cornflakes but will look at it later on, is certainly more interesting now and needs a good look.

camberfoil

Do you know the original purpose of cornflakes?

dragonair234
akafett wrote:

HAHA there was a thread somewhere claiming that some chess players can't play a game without their coffee. I thought that was slightly ridiculous. But maybe there is a group of chess-player-coffee-addicts (specifically chess+coffee) out there that I'm unaware of. 

After a few mins of research... there was a recent study released of 10,000 participants in/from the UK claiming to show which "professions" consume the most coffee, though I'm not sure of its scientific weight and credibility. See below. 

Pressat Survey in the United Kingdom

But Akafett I couldn't find the study you heard on the radio. It sounds more relavent to chess.com. It would be interesting to look at the relationship between coffee and mental concentration. I'd bet that the effects are different for different people. Then the health impact would be another area of study, for which there are already studies out there. Also, findings on caffeine effects are always fluctuating and once one study is released, another one contradicts it. So that is the nature of research.

dragonair234
noahs_dad wrote:

lol, now its an entirely different puzzle! It certainly helps having the right grid reference :)

I am having my cornflakes but will look at it later on, is certainly more interesting now and needs a good look.

Nice avatar!! "Please don't timeout"

dragonair234
camberfoil wrote:

Do you know the original purpose of cornflakes?

Uhh animal food? IDK! lol