Forums

Stuff Non-Chess Players Say

Sort:
camberfoil

I am, like most of today's youth, into the Percy Jackson series. Anyone read those?

dragonair234

^ lol Tongue Out

but

To each thier own I guess.

The Screwtape Letters in my opinion ranked among the top 10 books I've read. Maybe even the top 5. Why? Cause I recognized the struggle in the book and knew it so well.

And sorry, No. I haven't read that series. I've heard it's good.

@Dragon...you really need a picture of a dragon...not a selfie. I'm not complaining.

@12/29 Where oh where is the 29th? Where oh where?

dragonair234
but wrote:

To each thier own I guess.

The Screwtape Letters in my opinion ranked among the top 10 books I've read. Maybe even the top 5. Why? Cause I recognized the struggle in the book and knew it so well.

And sorry, No. I haven't read that series. I've heard it's good.

@Dragon...you really need a picture of a dragon...not a selfie. I'm not complaining.

@12/29 Where oh where is the 29th? Where oh where?

My Google search for a dragon was very unsuccessful. But.. I did find this gorgeous butterfly!

JayBo308

@dragonair: How about something like . . . 

Hey, are you the queen bee of the UC Merced Chess Club?? (one of the leaders of group or just another member?) Hope you're having fun there in sunny CA.

Jacob_Klein22

Best thing I've ever heard someone say.

(At begining of the game) They bunny hop their Rook over their pawn and say that they castled.... 

Second best thing. (Near endgame) Their king and rook are on opposite ends of board. I put him in check adn he castles his king from one end of the  board to the other end, and oppostie side where the rook was.. " That's the other way to castle" he said.

dragonair234
JayBo308 wrote:

@dragonair: How about something like . . . 

Hey, are you the queen bee of the UC Merced Chess Club?? (one of the leaders of group or just another member?) Hope you're having fun there in sunny CA.

Yup, I'm the "president"! (Clearly that doesn't mean I'm the best chess player there haha...) We are a small group of casual chess players. But we've got the prestige of the "UC" logo! Tongue Out Are you active in any chess club, JayBo? Smile

And I like that dragon picture! His eye looks a little crazy though, like he's really fixated on something. haha. Chess, maybe?

dragonair234
Jacob_Klein22 wrote:

Best thing I've ever heard someone say.

(At begining of the game) They bunny hop their Rook over their pawn and say that they castled.... 

Second best thing. (Near endgame) Their king and rook are on opposite ends of board. I put him in check adn he castles his king from one end of the  board to the other end, and oppostie side where the rook was.. " That's the other way to castle" he said.

Lol good one... 

Yesterday I played someone and immediately they brought out their rook. I was trying to be nice and pointed out that rooks are generally for endgames. He said, "Well, I'm not as good at chess as you are." But later he said thank you for teaching him, which felt nice. Smile

dragonair234

So I learned a few tricks yesterday if you've got a chess board set up but people are too nervous or shy to sit down and play... 

First of course you ask if they want to play a game of chess with you. If they hesistate or think about it then say no, you look at them, and hopefully you're playing white, and you make the first move. Initiate a challenge! It makes walking away from the board much more difficult. I found that the other person will accept your game and move as black, and so the game begins. 

Now two things could happen if they don't make the second move as black. Some people actually would like to play but don't have time. So you put a clock on the game, for example, a 5 minute game. Or if they really seem rushed, then a 3 minute game. Who says they don't have time for that? People usually assume chess games take a long time and a lot of energy. They don't realize you can play blitz too. Although not as good for learning and analysis, you can still get in a game with someone if they're in a hurry.

The other thing that can happen is that the person doesn't know how to play chess. They're probably telling you the truth. Then you can move on to the next person if that happens. 

Laughing

JayBo308

No chess club, dragonair. Try to play sometimes with some locals but one guy cheats by taking his moves back and another guy talks too much during the game, like forecasting moves or explaining what COULD have happened two moves ago. Aaaargh--that drives me nuts. Sometimes it's nice to just play a silent online game.

fluffyninja

guy i am better than you on math bet i can win you in chess

you they are not related

guy oh really there are 64 sqares on a board there 8 letters and 8 numbers so i did 8x8 and it eqaled 64

you yeah i know that

dragonair234
JayBo308 wrote:

No chess club, dragonair. Try to play sometimes with some locals but one guy cheats by taking his moves back and another guy talks too much during the game, like forecasting moves or explaining what COULD have happened two moves ago. Aaaargh--that drives me nuts. Sometimes it's nice to just play a silent online game.

Frown

camberfoil

Back to an earlier digression, on Patzer Rankings. Here it is:

CP - Candidate Patzer (Still at "suckitudinal noobtard" level)

NP - National Patzer (Worse than CP)

FP - FIDE Patzer (AWFUL!)

IP - International Patzer (suckitude is world-renowned)

GMP - Grandmaster Patzer (competetor for the WP title)

WP - World Patzer (also Water Closet, enough said)

but

ROTFL

@dragon...why don't you use toothless? He looks cute...

camberfoil

akafett
camberfoil wrote:

Back to an earlier digression, on Patzer Rankings. Here it is:

CP - Candidate Patzer (Still at "suckitudinal noobtard" level)

NP - National Patzer (Worse than CP)

FP - FIDE Patzer (AWFUL!)

IP - International Patzer (suckitude is world-renowned)

GMP - Grandmaster Patzer (competetor for the WP title)

WP - World Patzer (also Water Closet, enough said)

Glad you are having fun with my list. But I think that NP would outrank a CP, since a CP would not be good enough to be a plain Patzer.

dragonair234
but wrote:

ROTFL

I actually did find a picture of Toothless and considered it! But in general I'm not into the "cute" looking dragons. Although this pic is nice! And Toothless maintains his masculinity because of his "scary" dark color and his formal name: Night Fury!! 

Google Images

but
dragonair234 wrote:
but wrote:

ROTFL

I actually did find a picture of Toothless and considered it! But in general I'm not into the "cute" looking dragons. Although this pic is nice! And Toothless maintains his masculinity because of his "scary" dark color and his formal name: Night Fury!! 

Google Images

Wow...very nice picture...very nice...you should totally use that.

(Secret Agenda: Get Dragon to match her name)

(Secret Secret Agenda: I love dragons...)

dragonair234

Lol... and do you tell people your secret agenda when you're playing a game of chess? xD

but

No of course not. But when doing over the board games, I try to trick people into thinking a good move is a bad move. Then I murder them on the board. (Figuratively).

Chess is a mental game.