Sort:
dragonair234

Hahaha lol. Maybe when you all have your pics up! :'D 

dragonair234
camberfoil wrote:

akafett
dragonair234 wrote:

Hahaha lol. Maybe when you all have your pics up! :'D 

I always use my pic. But if you want to see what I look like without the Fett garb, here:

dragonair234

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Is that a heart on your shirt?

camberfoil

Or there can be this stormtrooper:

but

@Camber Is that a stormtrooper rejoicing about an order to blow up the cars in the background?

(MY profile pic = me...from like 10 or 20 years ago...

akafett
dragonair234 wrote:

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is that a heart on your shirt?

Yes. It is the Pediatric Cardiovascular Program logo associated with Duke University Hospital.

dragonair234

Smile

dragonair234
but wrote:

@Camber Is that a stormtrooper rejoicing about an order to blow up the cars in the background?

(MY profile pic = me...from like 10 or 20 years ago...

heh heh Smile

Chaseanthemum
ThrillerFan wrote:

I've seen people come to a restaurant that has a chess club, go into the area where the club is, and say any or all of the following:

"You know you can not beat me bro!"

"Chess, isn't that just like checkers?"

"Are you any good at it?"

"What's your rank?"

"I heard you say castling to the other guy, what is that?  Moving the castle somehow?"

I go to a chess club that meets in a Natural Foods Co-Op, and we leave the door open, because there's always a lot of pretty women in that store for some reason. Sometimes people stop in the door way and just stare and ask "Wow, do people really still play chess?" or say "Oh, I'm just watching, I dont wanna play." Of all the noobs that are the noobiest at anything, non-chess players are the noobiest of all.

drunkjosh
JayBo308 wrote:

No chess club, dragonair. Try to play sometimes with some locals but one guy cheats by taking his moves back and another guy talks too much during the game, like forecasting moves or explaining what COULD have happened two moves ago. Aaaargh--that drives me nuts. Sometimes it's nice to just play a silent online game.

With people who aren't really chess players, unfortunately sometimes you have to put up with things like this if you want to help them get into the game. We have a couple local chess clubs; I orgnanized one of them personally, but it isn't really a "chess club" so much as a group of people that get together, drink beer, and hang out with a bunch of chess boards. People of all skill levels play together there. A few of us are tournament players, but most of the people that come aren't.

What has become the general practice in this group is that when someone makes a serious tactical error and the other player sees it right away, they'll say something like "I don't really think you can make that move," and instead of letting the losing side continue on for 20 moves in a game they don't realize is completely hopeless (something I've seen happen countless times in casual games), the weaker player gets a tactical exercise and a small lesson, and both players get a better game.

JayBo308

Good idea to explain a small lesson with beginner players. When I was in 6th grade and was playing against an older student who won every game, I asked him many times, 'Tell me why you moved that piece there,' so he could at least give me a basic idea of strategy, otherwise I would be making meaningless moves. It helped because after losing about 8 or 9 games in a row, I finally won.

dragonair234
drunkjosh wrote:
JayBo308 wrote:

No chess club, dragonair. Try to play sometimes with some locals but one guy cheats by taking his moves back and another guy talks too much during the game, like forecasting moves or explaining what COULD have happened two moves ago. Aaaargh--that drives me nuts. Sometimes it's nice to just play a silent online game.

With people who aren't really chess players, unfortunately sometimes you have to put up with things like this if you want to help them get into the game. We have a couple local chess clubs; I orgnanized one of them personally, but it isn't really a "chess club" so much as a group of people that get together, drink beer, and hang out with a bunch of chess boards. People of all skill levels play together there. A few of us are tournament players, but most of the people that come aren't.

What has become the general practice in this group is that when someone makes a serious tactical error and the other player sees it right away, they'll say something like "I don't really think you can make that move," and instead of letting the losing side continue on for 20 moves in a game they don't realize is completely hopeless (something I've seen happen countless times in casual games), the weaker player gets a tactical exercise and a small lesson, and both players get a better game.

Wow! Three very interesting posts above!

Our Chess Club is casual too. There's one guy who I want to offer advice to, but the last time I tried, he shrugged it off and didn't want to listen to the whole thing. I wasn't offended because we're all their at our own free will. But it'd be nice to see some motivation to improve and not make the same mistakes repeatedly (insanity, is it called?). So I liked reading about the small chess lessons you offer in your club. Very encouraging to read! 

dragonair234

^Nice work! I like the "moving castle," the "king on the castle," and the "horse" jokes (-;

creepingdeath50
Jacob_Klein22 wrote:

Best thing I've ever heard someone say.

(At begining of the game) They bunny hop their Rook over their pawn and say that they castled.... 

Second best thing. (Near endgame) Their king and rook are on opposite ends of board. I put him in check adn he castles his king from one end of the  board to the other end, and oppostie side where the rook was.. " That's the other way to castle" he said.

I guess one would have to be stoned in order to understand that kind of logic. Hahahahahaha.

akafett

Here's something funny. I have been frantically playing 5 gaves so I can play in the tourney. The games are all blitz. But I need to play "ONLINE" chess games to qualify to play. Looks like I'll miss the tourney.

dragonair234

Lololol. You also need to do 100 pushups! Blindfolded! (Wait, what would the difference be...)

Speaking of "online" chess, I won a game on time. With that same person, I've lost to them on time maybe two or three times in a row before. So, I get back some lost points, I guess?! And also now my most recent online chess record is made up entirely of games lost/won on time.  Embarassed

akafett

What's really bad is that I didn't care what my rating would be; I just wanted to qualify for the tourney. Now, I blew 5 games for nothing.

dragonair234

I shall judge you not! :)

akafett

@ Dragon: Free for a game this evening? Around 11 EST?