Forums

solving mate in two problems

Sort:
TalibanJack

Some are easy, while some are hard (not so obvious). What is the best way to solve mate in two? Other than knowing tactics, is there a certain strategy?

TalibanJack

anyone?

rooperi

Well, composed puzzle are not so much about tactics as about "themes".

You probabl have to approach them differently from regular positions. Many have  very little basis in reality. I always say puzzles are not chess, but a seperate discipline using the rules of chess.

I guess if ou understand all or some of the themes, you might spot the patterns easier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_chess_problems

TalibanJack
rooperi wrote:

Well, composed puzzle are not so much about tactics as about "themes".

You probabl have to approach them differently from regular positions. Many have  very little basis in reality. I always say puzzles are not chess, but a seperate discipline using the rules of chess.

I guess if ou understand all or some of the themes, you might spot the patterns easier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_chess_problems

I practice mate puzzles to help my tactical vision without moving pieces.  How differently?

rooperi

Lemme give ou an example. This puzzle, (like many others) is more about the composer trying to accomplish a task, and not setting a problem for a solver.

This is a theme called starflights. The black king is on e2 (the centre of the star) d1, f1, d3, f3 are the points of the stars. If the king escapes to any of these squares, there is a seperate and different mate for each square.

andreasweber
chessplayer19987 wrote:

Some are easy, while some are hard (not so obvious). What is the best way to solve mate in two? Other than knowing tactics, is there a certain strategy?

Well, mate is when you give check and the opponent can't evade it.

So - the second move has to be a check. Now what has to happen in the first move to get a mate for your check? -> Make sure the checking piece can't be taken or blocked and the king can't run away, either ...

TalibanJack
andreasweber wrote:
chessplayer19987 wrote:

Well, mate is when you give check and the opponent can't evade it.

So - the second move has to be a check. Now what has to happen in the first move to get a mate for your check? -> Make sure the checking piece can't be taken or blocked and the king can't run away, either ...

Not that simple. Some mates are forced, meaning you have to check your opponent on the first move then give mate. But alot are not so obvious.