Forums

Stop with solving tactics ??

Sort:
jeasbed
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

To use an exaggarated example... if it takes you 5 minutes to solve a problem that most people can do in 10 seconds, don't you think that says something about your playing strength?  Should those two people be rated the same?  I dont think so.

That's likely why there's a correlation between timed problems and standard OTB rating.  You don't have an infinite amount of time there either.  In order to calculate deeply, you have to be able to eliminate bad moves otherwise you'd have to analyze every possibility.  People who can quickly spot blitz mode style tactics in their OTB games can eliminate potential bad moves and eliminate possible replies by their opponent.  

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. Apparently, there's something to it because as I said, my blitz tactics rating on chesstempo is right at 1300 and my standard live play rating is mid-1200s. I stopped doing timed tactics on this site because it was so frustrating bouncing back and forth between high 1200s and high 1000s. On chesstempo my blitz tactic rating has slowly and steadily improved over time. Not sure why that is. You get point deductions on chesstempo blitz tactics when you take too long to solve a puzzle (just like here) so I'm not sure why I do better on ChessTemp than I do here. 

Thanks again.  

jeasbed
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

The people who are concerned about losing rating for getting a problem right are going about it the wrong way.   You're worried about the result, but not why you aren't as good at tactics as others.  Those are the same people you will be playing OTB, so you should be trying to be more like them not changing the rating system so it makes you look similar when you aren't.

Personally, I don't really care about the rating. I just don't get why you lose points when you get a problem right. I can understand getting less points but losing points? I'm sure there's a reason for that as well. 

cdowis75
[COMMENT DELETED]
vmsfinale
HaydenPanettiere wrote:

Hello everyone !

My Tactics rating is now 2507 here after I solve a huge chess Tactics everyday and I get tired of it  , I get only a less improve in blitz or bullet , why solving chess tactics ???????? it give me  no improve at all  !

i should say not just to you but to every1. avoid playing quick games.

they create flaws in your thinking.

as for your extreme case ,if you  want to improve;  stop playing blitz and bullet altogether.    play standard controls (say 30 min per side) and then see where you stand. analyse each game with engine

greenfreeze

that is a really high tactics rating

Debistro

There are many anomalies with the whole Tactics Trainer system, and this is an example, but plenty more I imagine. I see some people with modest TT rating yet have high blitz/bullet and vice versa (like the OP). I think the Blitz mode just encourages 90% of people to not see/work out the whole line but play move by move and solve it like that. That is why the timer keeps going down for many puzzles. Also many puzzles have dropped a lot in rating compared to just 1-2 years ago. That is why I see some people have TT ratings of 2400-2600 a few years ago, but their ratings today are much LOWER than what they used to be.....these are just some of the things that are obviously wrong with the whole TT system.

riv4l
HaydenPanettiere wrote:

LOL I make a lot of auto moves in blitz and bullet I get always a big  time advanced , some told me bullet is about who make the fastest moves.

Thankyou everyone for the great info

sorry but you don't really have 2500 in tactics since you obviously cheat. Look at your blitz/bullet where it doesn't shine. Obviously a hacker. get banned please. 

greenfreeze

if it was true to be 2500 tactics

would i be good

ModestTiger

Im pretty suer this guy uses an engine. no way can someone hit 2500 in tactics and suck that much in blitz and bullet.

lfPatriotGames
ModestTiger wrote:

Im pretty suer this guy uses an engine. no way can someone hit 2500 in tactics and suck that much in blitz and bullet.

Maybe. I know in my case there is a huge difference between bullet ability and solving tactics ability. I stopped playing bullet after only a few games because I would lose almost every game on time, so my rating is very low. But with tactics trainer, more time makes a huge difference, so my rating is much better.  A thousand points better. And definitely no computer assistance anywhere.

drmrboss

I have bullet/ blitz 2000+ and Tactic trainer 2400. My friend has bullet blitz 2200+ and tactic trainer 2800+.

In my exp, TT rating is about 500+ bogus for free members. There will be more bogus (additional 200-1000 or more) if you are premium member and can do TT more than 10000 here( there will be lots of repetations).

drmrboss
pfren wrote:

Being good at solving tactics is a great thing.

However, it's very different at OTB games. There:

- Noone tells you that there is a tactic shot. You must sniff it yourself, which needs a good "killer instict".

- Tactics are not born via parthenogenesis. They are the result of a positional superiority, which needs good positional understanding to achieve.

I know a few GM's which are superb in tactical play, but literally suck positionally- and vice versa. The right blend between positional understanding and tactical awareness is the not-so-secret of improvement in chess, and this is achieved via hard work regarding all aspects of play.

Well said, Sir.