Forums

Suicidal opponents

Sort:
doctor_seuss

http://www.freeultimategamecard.com/2975538

Seraphimity

Read the book: Nigg'rs and Money; the Chronicles of Christ

NegaMax

Considering Imperfect_Luck isn't even posting any more hilarious, ridiculous comments riddled with typos for us to pick apart and entertain ourselves with, I think it's time we called it quits. Been fun guys!

Lol, at least I got the first post on the 25th page. Post #481!

Chessamemucho

I think he committed suicide...just like his opponents...hehehe

AdamRinkleff
redMD13 wrote:

I think he committed suicide...just like his opponents...hehehe

He's just really stoned right now.

EricFleet
NegaMax wrote:

Considering Imperfect_Luck isn't even posting any more hilarious, ridiculous comments riddled with typos for us to pick apart and entertain ourselves with, I think it's time we called it quits. Been fun guys!

I am sad that you don't see the wisdom in his posts. But haters gonna hate...

doctor_seuss

Some ppl still don't realize that he was trolling...

NegaMax
EricFleet wrote:
NegaMax wrote:

I am sad that you don't see the wisdom in his posts. But haters gonna hate...

Hmmmm, I think I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are being sarcastic. But if you're serious, then you must be just as stoned as the OP

NeuroMind

Just because someone is "suicidal" and is willing to sacrifice pieces it doesn't mean that they don't know how to play, in fact sometimes you need to sacrifice pieces in order to achieve checkmate. 

AdamRinkleff
DivineSoul wrote:

Just because someone is "suicidal" and is willing to sacrifice pieces it doesn't mean that they don't know how to play, in fact sometimes you need to sacrifice pieces in order to achieve checkmate. 

But that's playing al-Qaeda style!

NegaMax
AdamRinkleff wrote:
DivineSoul wrote:

Loooooooooooool!

cartmankyle

Don't say another Goddamn word. This madness has gone too far. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say anything else - read this - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins, you will hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving cows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth. Amen.

NeuroMind
AdamRinkleff wrote:
DivineSoul wrote:

I'll be honest with you..that gave me a good chuckle.

NegaMax
cartmankyle wrote:

Don't say another Goddamn word. This madness has gone too far. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say anything else - read this - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins, you will hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving cows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth. Amen.

Three. More. Words

Imperfect_Luck
dmxn2k wrote:
Imperfect_Luck wrote:

Im currious if im the only one who feels this way;

Most of my games, i seem to play suicidal opponents. Opponents who have the option to move out of attach, yet chose instead to trade pecies.

I find this spitful cowardly and pointless WHY?

Well since as long as i can rememebr ive always considered suicide the act of desperate deledued ppl and only desperately deldued people GLORIFY it as anything else. eg. 9/11.

Infact i will go as far to say suicide/mindless trade is the most retarded plan humanly possible in any context. any game. its jsut common sence to me yet it seems the amout of times i encoutner this is endless.

Im not talking about sacraficing a pecie to gain an advantage eg. sacraficing a knight to kill ur opponents queen im talking about equal trade. knight for knight knight for bishop bishp for knight rook for rook queen for queen.

I sit there looking at the score board thinking this is exactly why they added a score board to this game, to make its utter pointlessness (point*) more apparent, yet i encoutner this so often.

Infact each time i log on it makes me view a high rated game. and all i see is suicide. pointless spitful ppl mindlessly trading pecies literally every time. untill they're both down to i duno 2 pecies and 5 pawns each.

Why are these ppl being admired, promoted and displayed as somone ur suposed to gain experience from watching?

I have been playing chess for some time now for fun, no tournaments or i duno compotitions with trophys or cash or what not. simply fun. and i noticed soon after making my account i was not a fan of 5 min games. Why?

I found my opponents most of the time were suicidal, they didnt care where they moved or why, infact it was more like i was playing time than them. i was put into a rediculus sittuation. instead of trying to think up a plan to capture or annialiate my opponent i found i was thinking up a plan to stop them kill themselves. now i dont find that fun and i dont belive with each peace having its own unique ways of movement this was how the game was ment to be played.

Yet as i said earlier each time i log on im viewing high rated ppl (who probly farmed these 5 min or less suicidal games.

Honestly ive probly resigned more games than ive played due to this, i find no fun in playign a spitful suicidal cowardly opponent in any game. 

ITs not only here either ive noticed tutorials promoting mindless trade, ppl ranting on and on about stratergies asthough its actually stratergy and when it gets down to it its suicide missions. I dont understand how this has become the norm (because it looks that way to me)

So yes im currious am i only in thinking this way?

If further explanation is needed i will give but yeah.

I've only played 10 minute games on this site, save one correspondence game I'm playing now, so I can't comment on five minute or less games. 

However, I find the characterization of "suicidal opponents", opponents who trade down and simplify the game quickly, as a huge paradigm shift when compared to chess over a hundred years ago.

The first chess champion of the world, Wilhelm Steinitz, was initially considered a coward for his conservative play, his tendency to avoid the "swashbuckling" chess that dominated up to the late 19th century. 

Yet now one might remark that this daring, bold, slash-and-trade chess is actually cowardly. I don't agree, and I find the fastest games to be largely quick footed with short-range tactical blows, and possibly more depending on the level of skill of the player.

I think weaker players are more likely to trade tit for tat than stronger players. As the strength progresses, the frequency of imbalances on the board increase.

Also, suicide implies death when ultimately, the goal of chess is not to preserve one piece or another, but primarily to protect the king and secondarily do so in a timely manner. 

As time decreases, the importance of the second objective increases, and simplification might be the only way to reduce the chance of blunders, lest one might find conservative play, non-threatening, non-trading, positional play, be the more suicidal style of play considering aggressive trading's apparent dominance. 

Thanks for your oppinion.

Imperfect_Luck

To all those asking for game links or piece coordinates. They were given.

And i dont mean my simple explanation in the op. Perhaps if they're we less people being jerks you would be able to find them more easily. That is if your even trying. Somone was going on at me for 2 hours other day only to admit he hasnt even read the opening post so yeah.

Heh, i dont log on 40 odd hours only to come back to.

'now i see why this has gone on this long hes doing it himself'

'this has gone on long enough dont say another word'

Then of cource there are alot of people here, who are pretending to offer help when in reality are simply attempting to insult me.

A. I have asked no one for help of any kind.

B. Dispite deliberatly chosing these two words in the opening post trade & suicide. There is comment after comment attempting to make anyone reading this post belive i dont realise the advantages of sacraficing a piece. Be it for a positional or point advantage. I remind one last time there is a reason i chose those 2 words.

People are intentionally  waiting for the pages to go up then bringing up the same questions to me again asthough they have not been answered, its like your only purpose in here is to act as poison for anyone who hasnt been reading this from the start.

Personally if i dont have an opinion on a post or even care about it i wouldnt waste my time with things like this;

'cartmankyle 

Don't say another Goddamn word. This madness has gone too far. Up until now, I've been polite. If you say anything else - read this - I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fueled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins, you will hear the sound of children screaming - as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving cows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth. Amen.'

Mada mada anyway again thanks for posts people who kept on topic.

I dont know anything about the 'history' of chess so again thanks for your post dmxn2k as for your comment on my choice of the word suicide.

'Also, suicide implies death when ultimately, the goal of chess is not to preserve one piece or another, but primarily to protect the king and secondarily do so in a timely manner. '

I do agree with you. Infact the only reason i belive you could have been given to think otherwise is jsut wave and wave of people pretneding to help when in reality they're trying to insults.

I said suicidal opponents because im unaware of a name for this play style if there is one . A desperate casual disregard for a pieces worth.

As though the game is 30 seconds and the lock is ticking.

Somone mentioned the tactics of zapp brannigan from futurama as away to describe it.

Sending it wave after waver of men untll your opponent runs out of ammo.

Scottrf

If that tactic is enough to win, what is the problem with it?

Either improve to the point where you can beat someone employing that tactic, or quit.

Resigning if someone trades means it's not even worth starting a game.

Imperfect_Luck
Scottrf wrote:

If that tactic is enough to win, what is the problem with it?

Either improve to the point where you can beat someone employing that tactic, or quit.

Resigning if someone trades means it's not even worth starting a game.

Not once have i said anything is 'wrong' with it.

Not once have i said do this dont do that.

Ive only said 'personally' i prefer this - and explained in the opening post why. People are chosing to argue with themselves.

Just another example of a helpful insult.

Scottrf

Oh OK, enjoy your chess then.

Imperfect_Luck
Scottrf wrote:

Oh OK, enjoy your chess then.

I will say this said it before though.

I dont play games to win i play games for fun.

I do competitions if i wanna win something. I chose the word spite in the opening post for a reason because i didnt get the sence from these games my opponent wanted to beat me in stratergy with such an action simply spite me then further more walk away knowing they 'won'. 

That in mind? People been spaming me challengs from this post.

Logically stratergy to win? castle - trade any piece of equally worth that comes near my king to avoid checkmate- make every move faster than my opponent - win on time.

Thats not fun for me. Some stratergy. Like im playing for my life or something nothing else matters.  Just adding some stuff to my mugen game and you know what it just reminded me of. 

How people used to blow themselves up on halo back in the day.

Just an act of spite then run of saying ha ha i win you lose thats not enough for me. But hey i aint forcing my style on others.

Right and wrong truth and lie.

What those words apply to seem to always change with the majority.

I try not to use them. Not easy.

As i said in the opening post 'due to the unique movement of each piece i dont belive this is how the game was intended to play'. Infact when it starts happening i feel like im playing checkers not chess.

Now thats not saying its right or wrong works or doesnt.

Its just casually tossing away pieces on hunches with the pretence of stratergy (and i say pretence because how those games i mentioned usually end. Both opoonent equally positioned equal points and its time that won the match'. 

So at what point does one admit i had no stratergy beyond castling, then trading pieces of equally worth as soon as they come near me with the intention of only beating my opponent on time.