Forums

Tonight Chess has a new All time best

Sort:
sisu

Let's make it happen!

Razdomillie
sisu wrote:

Haha I laugh at those who say "best ever" based on some number. When he's been WORLD CHAMPION for 15 years, then we'll see.

I don't think people are saying he's the best based on a number. but rather his dominance in a time of great competition. And while I'm not sure if he's the best or not either, there's no need to be so condescending to those who do.

sisu

Let's make it happen!

ponz111

He is the greatest for our time now and he is young and has the potential to be as great as say Kasparov or Fischer or Karpov.   

Scottrf

He's certainly not the greatest, be he may very well be the strongest. Greatest should always be based on achievements, not level of play. He's only 22 though so who knows what he can achieve.

MSC157
Estragon wrote:

The Monday game to watch in London:  Kramnik-Carlsen.

Yes, I hope Kramnik wins! :) My choise after Kasparov! :)

Scottrf

Looks like Carlsen should be happy with a draw from here (vs Kramnik).

grandbrother
MSC157 wrote:
Estragon wrote:

The Monday game to watch in London:  Kramnik-Carlsen.

Yes, I hope Kramnik wins! :) My choise after Kasparov! :)

it might be draw, just watching the game. if he draws; how many elo points will he shed away?

grandbrother

God forbid he draws, he had a rough game tonight but caught up for now   (in move 37... Kf7)!

Razdomillie
grandbrother wrote:

God forbid he draws, he had a rough game tonight but caught up for now   (in move 37... Kf7)!

What? A draw is the absolute best case scenario right now, unless Kramnik has a heart attack.

grandbrother

seems VK runing out of time. watching this game(round 3 VK-MC was like waiting a paint get dry)

grandbrother

Mickey Adams- Judit Polgar 1-0

grandbrother

VA-LA draw

grandbrother

Lastly the game in R3 B/W VK-MC=draw

varelse1
sisu wrote:
varelse1 wrote:

Carlsen is the best ever. And now it's official.

The point is: ask yourself what they did in their chess to get that number. Magnus is no where near as GREAT as Karpov or Kasparov. He has potential for sure, but to say "best ever" just means that you haven't seen the others before him.

How many games have YOU lost in the past 12 months? Is it perhaps more than one??

That's the number I'm talking about. I have no idea what number you may be talking about.

trysts

Nigel Short is the most borish person in chess. His commentating today was quite unbearable, in my view.

atarw

In my opinion, I believe Aronian just lost a pawn with Ne7??.

Is this true???

I expect more from the 2nd best in the world... :)

atarw
pfren wrote:

Sure enough, Magnus isn't "the greatest ever". A handful of other players may claim that title (some not, as they have passed away).

But the sheer quality of his play is phenomenal, in the whole history of chess. How can we say it- Capablanca on steroids with Kasparov fighting spirit, maybe?

No, a positional computer. (a computer that can play well positionally)

VULPES_VULPES

Move 54

Why not 54. ... Bxe6?

trysts
Estragon wrote:

I can't listen to the ongoing live commentary, I am trying to do other things.  But Daniel King does a good round-up of each day's action when it's over.

Do you have a link for the Daniel King round-up, Estragon?