Forums

What chess records may never be broken?

Sort:
ponz111

I am sure Fischer had some chess feats or records which might never be broken?

ponz111

Some records you gave have been broken and some might be broken need to be more specific. I think Fischer's 19 or 20 wins in a row at top level of chess might not be matched or broken.

ponz111

2851 highest elo rating by Kasporov will probably be broken.

Here_Is_Plenty

"First guy to ever deliver checkmate..." - mind you we have no claimed record for this one, so I am claiming now to be that guy.  No other contestants?  Good, its mine!

I am hoping the Kasparov rating wont get broken as I included it in a story as "the highest rating of all time" and would hate to have to go back and edit.

Kens_Mom

"The absolute worst result in a simultaneous exhibition was two wins and 18 losses (10%) by Joe Hayden, aged 17, in August 1977. Hayden wanted to set an American record by playing 180 people simultaneously at a shopping centerin Cardiff, NJ, but only 20 showed up to play. Hayden lost 18 of the games (including one to a seven-year-old). His two wins were scored against his mother and a player who got tired of waiting and left in mid-game, thus forfeiting the game (Fox & James 1993, pp. 190–91)."

I think I'll try to break this record.

Scottrf

Fewest moves in a game.

yakushi12345

most losses to (any dead player)

most losses in the 20th, 19th etc. centuries

worst life record(percentage), since someone is probably 0+1-0=

ponz111

Well, I was thinking of good records but that record by Joe Hayden is wonderful!  By the way I would guess the American simul record of 180 must have been broken by now--American records welcome also. [since I have one]

HourraPapa

For example, shortest game cannot be beaten : 1. f4 (or f3) e6 (or e5) 2. g4 Qh4mate.

PiFischer

12-0 in Super GM match play Fischer-Taminov and Fischer- Larsen  will never be broken!  Any Super GM today can hope to get more than one draw in 12 games even if playing Carlsen.  Tamiov's GM title was taken away after his defeat, but later reinstated by Russia when they realized Fischer was just crazy good in that match.

ponz111

Yes, I remember well Fischer with those two 6-0 matches-it was unbelievable! It must have been intimidating to play someone who was trying very hard to win every single game-even with Black!

Although not classified as a world record I think Fischer won the USA championship with all wins?

jesterville

In top class chess 100% wins in tournaments is not held by Fischer...sorry to disappoint.

1. Gustav Neumann at Berlin in 1865 (34/34).

2. Henry Atkins at Amstadam in 1899 (15/15).

3. Emanuel Lasker at New York in 1893 (13/13).

4. Jose Capablanca at New York in 1913 (13/13).

5. Alexander Beliavsky at Alicante in 1978 (13/13).

6. Alexander Alekhine at Moscow in 1919 (11/11).

7. Bobby Fischer at US Championships in 1963 (11/11).

jesterville

Consecutive wins-

1. Steinitz - 25 games

2. Fischer - Is it 20? Or really 19? Since his game against Oscar Panno was never played, due to a protest by Panno. Not much details here, except that Fischer played his first move...and Panno resigned in protest.

Master_Po

The number of cigarettes smoked during a game - I think goes to Mr. Tal while playing Mr. Petrosian or somebody.  Tal was sick but played, smoked and won anyway.  It was close to 3-5 packs of cigs., though I have no proof of this.

JeffGreen333

I once won 62 straight games against various players in a homeless shelter. lol  Does that count?  Some of them were actually pretty good too.  Many of them learned how to play in prison. 

jesterville

One that will be very difficult to beat would be Garry Kaspaov's Consecutive  Tournament record played against super-GMs , he won 15 consecutive supertournaments between 1981-1990 (including being tied for first). His streak was broken by Ivanchuk in 1991, when Kasparov placed 2nd...only 1/2 point behind Ivanchuk.

Mainline_Novelty

Greatest Number Of Castlings in a game : 3! http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/records/

gregkurrell

being World Champ for 27 years - Emanuel Lasker

Mainline_Novelty
[COMMENT DELETED]
varelse1

How about Capablanca going 10 years (1914-1924) without a single loss?

In my mind, that ranks at least as good as Fischer's winning streaks.  We are talking about an entire decade, after all.