Forums

What is the difference between strategy and tactics?

Sort:
Louis-Holtzhausen

Chess strategy refers to your ability to make a good plan for the position.

Tactics skills on the other hand refers to how good you are at seeing a combination of moves (usually 2-5 moves deep) with which you obtain some advantage.

Anyone else who can come up with some of the main differences between tactics and strategy?

http://www.chess-strategies-tactics.com/chess-strategy-and-tactics

PrawnEatsPrawn
Bataleur wrote:

Chess strategy refers to your ability to make a good plan for the position.

Tactics skills on the other hand refers to how good you are at seeing a combination of moves (usually 2-5 moves deep) with which you obtain some advantage.

Anyone else who can come up with some of the main differences between tactics and strategy?

http://www.chess-strategies-tactics.com/chess-strategy-and-tactics

I think your definition nails it.

Good looking and informative site, I've bookmarked it for further attention.

How strong a player are you?

Louis-Holtzhausen

To be honest, I am about a 2000 rated player but I dont play very actively - I spend more time coaching than actually playing - but I look at what the grandmaster are saying and try to put in into informative and useful information

Thanks for bookmarking.

Louis-Holtzhausen

Yeah good one. I also like what Fischer said - tactics flow from superior positions.

Strategy helps you get the good position, tactics help you get the concrete advantage from the good position.

Frankdawg

Strategy would be like if I got a gun. I loaded the gun. Then I walked into a store. I would need to decide what kind of gun and ammo. I would need to decide what time. I would need to decide if I will be alone or have accomplices. I would need to decide exactly what store.

Tactics would be either taking the clerk hostage, shooting the clerk, or demanding the clerk pay me the money.

HassaanRahimi
[COMMENT DELETED]
HassaanRahimi

Those moves which based on rules, principles, plans etc are actually strategic moves. While those moves which relies on calculation is known as Tactical moves.

Hassaan Rahimi.

Graf_Nachthafen

thread is from 2011

the necro is strong in this one

strikingtan

I've written a post on this topic.

NZ-Kiwi

strikingtan...
Did you mean VELCRO"

cheers Kev