Forums

When I get to 1600...

Sort:
victhestick

I am at 1560 and will probably get to 1600 early in 2010.

When I get to 1600 I promise to...

...remain humble and not trash talk my opponents.

...refrain from making "know it all' comments in the forums, especially in forums pertaining to actual chess play or chess knowledge.

...keep my rigid chess training schedule of three minutes of tactics trainer per week.

...try to not obsess on why white moves first.

...when playing against a member under 1200, not use the comment "are you sure you want to do that?" in the chat box.

...to be patient with the underlings of the chess world.  It only took me 50 years to obtain this lofty and sometimes illusive goal.  It is important to allow others the time to mature and find thier way to such a pinnacle level in the game.

pskogli

Not to take away the fun, but 1600 doesen't mean much... Below 2000 is weak.

Tricklev

We all have different goals, don´t we psikogli?
And weak is relative, 1600 might be weak, but it´s strong compared to 1200. 2000 is also weak, compared to 2400.

jonnyjupiter

One of the general rules of life on any subject is "the more you know, the more you realise you have yet to learn".

Frustrating, isn't it?!

Carlsen must really have a lot to learn.

El-Turco

if you are between 1400 and 1700, join this Tourney: http://www.chess.com/tournament/chess---what-a-wonderfull-world. For those who want so start playing fast in 2010!

Natalia_Pogonina

Nice promises Smile

tryst

What? Is there somewhere else to go after reaching 1600? I thought I would die after reaching 1600, and guess what? I am dead. A corpse moving a mouse. There really is nowhere else to go. What seperates you from 1700, 1900, 2100? Social death. You no longer care about things like sex, and...other things, you just become invaginated in the labrynth of rating procession. You may as well grab a fifth of bourbon and a bottle of sleeping pills and call it a day.

Conflagration_Planet

I've done nearly three thousand of those tactics puzzles, and am still sucking in the 700s.

victhestick

They say a man's rating is an extension of his ego.  The bigger the number, the smaller the...

Kernicterus
victhestick wrote:

They say a man's rating is an extension of his ego.  The bigger the number, the smaller the...

And a woman's rating?

To the OP..."are you sure you wanna do that" is hilarious. 

Kernicterus

oops, you are the OP

victhestick
AfafBouardi wrote:
victhestick wrote:

And a woman's rating?

Women seldom have the ego issues men do.  Lucky for all of us.

victhestick
uhohspaghettio wrote:

Turn-based means NOTHING. NOTHING.

then what does means SOMETHING. SOMETHING?

nice argument pasta king!

Mainline_Novelty

turn based means a heck of a lot more than live chess (i wish there were one of those emoticon with a person pointing to his head (i m smart) )

tigergutt
pskogli wrote:

below 2000 is 95% of chessplayers so almost all chessplayers are weak then? i makes me wonder what your definition of weak is.

orangehonda
tigergutt wrote:
pskogli wrote:

below 2000 is 95% of chessplayers so almost all chessplayers are weak then? i makes me wonder what your definition of weak is.

Well here's that crazy turn-based vs USCF ratings thing that makes all these numbers hard to know what people are talking about.

Because the OP's turn-based rating is just below 1600 I'm guessing he means that, and because turn based ratings are hundreds of points lower than USCF pskogli might have meant 2000 turn-based or 1600 USCF which certainly isn't in the top 2%

Ziryab
uhohspaghettio wrote:

Turn-based means NOTHING. NOTHING.

Turn-based chess is a quest for truth

tarikhk
AfafBouardi wrote:
victhestick wrote:

And a woman's rating?

the smaller the number, the bigger the....

Kernicterus

I think OTB is closer to showing chess brilliance/power.  CC might be a quest for truth, but it's a quest for an objective chess truth...not for playing prowess. 

The way a lot of us play CC is pretty much OTB anyway.

Kernicterus
rich wrote:
AfafBouardi wrote:

I think OTB is closer to showing chess brilliance/power.  CC might be a quest for truth, but it's a quest for an objective chess truth...not for playing prowess. 

The way a lot of us play CC is pretty much OTB anyway.

Do you play CC like OTB, with No analysis board ? Here I use the analysis board but not game explorer.

All the following relates to how I play CC:

I don't touch the analysis board.  I've heard too many people say that it hurts their OTB vision. 

I do occasionally look up a move in a database if I keep encountering the situation and I end up wondering what the best move is for future use.

It would be rare for me to take more than 5 minutes to decide one of my moves.  Very rare.