Forums

Where is the strangest place you have ever played a game of chess...

Sort:
Chessry

Nice!

chess2Knights

Late night Diner without a chess set. Played each other just by calling out moves and memory.

renumeratedfrog01

A small internet site which I dare not to mention, because chess.com will ban my account... :D

NimzoRoy

Back on the "Least Coast" me and some pals played at a VFW post once a wk we were not vets but the guy or guys in charge let us play there anyway, I guess for the benefit of the chess-playing vets. This place had a full bar and an interesting membership - half the vets were young Vietnam vets and the other half were "moldy figs" from WW2 and Korea and the 2 different age groups rarely got along with each other, leading to lots of arguments, shouting, fisticuffs (NS), flying glasses, beer pitchers etc during our games. If you could play under those conditions you could play chess anywhere!

Chessry

chess2Knights: That's awesome man. I've always wanted to try that; just no friends who love chess as much as I near home. Kind of sucks. My father, God rest his soul, was the first to show me Chess, and we had some awesome games before he passed. I don't think any of my friends even know the first thing about it; nor do they care to learn. Lol. Thank Goodness for the web at least! 

Conquistador
goldendog wrote:

What's the hold up with all the your momma's jokes?

Your mom wears army boots.

Conquistador

The oddest place I have played chess was at an abandoned blind school by a long since closed down furniture factory.

NimzoRoy

Did you play blindfold chess there?

bobbyDK

another strange place I played chess was on a staircase to another floor. inconvient to make space for people going up and down.

fburton
Grobzilla wrote:
Chessry wrote:

Think back to games you have played in your past, whether it be from a jail cell, or a plane-thousands of miles above the ground. Everyone has a game or two up their sleeves that have taken place in a venue that others may claim is strange. Where was yours?

"That'd be in the butt, Bob". (reference?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrf5uGkm8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XM5hbS7GlU 

Snopes notwithstanding, she said "ass", not "butt" - an important distinction.

chess2Knights

Chessry, thank you. No tournaments near you or a local library club? What state and city do you live in?

PLAVIN81

In my car while caught in a trafic jam

Chessry

I used chess.com to show some places near Raleigh, NC. Will have to check them out for sure. I think one of the main things  for a lot of people is getting over the security of playing behind the screen, and branching into social groups-OTB. A lot of my pals treat chess like it's taboo, "Chess? No pads or hitting? Never heard of it. (Logs into chess.com, daily)" 

FisherFan

Laughingarea 51.. but you need to be carefulWink the russians send satellites over head...Cool

Chessry

That's alien to me. 

ohsnapzbrah

Does it have to be against another physical person?

If not, then last weekend I played a strange game. In my girlfriend's bed at 7am after making whoppee. She went to the bathroom to freshen back up, I pulled my phone out and played chess against the computer. 

deadastronauts

In the realities only accessible to us mortals through the gateway of psychedelics.

nameno1had

I played two games while riding a passenger train the other day...It was pretty cool

kgpatrick21

My gf dragged me the the phone store the other day. Knowing I'd be there forever while she picked out the perfect phone, I loaded up chess.com on one of the display phones and played a few blitz games. Cool

nameno1had
kgpatrick21 wrote:

My gf dragged me the the phone store the other day. Knowing I'd be there forever while she picked out the perfect phone, I loaded up chess.com on one of the display phones and played a few blitz games. 

Good for you... I annoy my wife when I do stuff like that...

It kills me how I supposed to just sit idly by sometimes just to appease her.