Forums

Why was chess invented?

Sort:
oneawesomeperson123

Why was chess invented?  Does anybody know?  I think it was created for entertaiment and fun.  After all, chess IS pretty fun!

Berder

I like to think somebody wanted to simulate a real battle between troops but they didn't have Age of Empires on their xbox

skilledwolf

So they simulated a real battle by creating a turn-based game? Don't get me wrong I like chess but I find this explanation implausible.

Berder

Real life generals used to use (still use?) little figurines to represent troops, which they would move around a map.

TheGrobe

It's a game, an idle pastime. It was created for the same reason any other idle pastime is -- as a recreational distraction.

TheGrobe

And Risk is another game that is very much intended to simulate battle and is still turn based, by the way, so not so implausible.

DrSpudnik

If chess did not exist, we would have to invent it!

omnipaul

The god Mars wanted to hook up with a dryad named Caissa, but she wasn't really into him.  So he went to talk to Euphron, the god of sport and brother to Venus.  Euphron created chess so that Mars could make Caissa fall for him.

So, as is true of many things, chess was created so that a guy could impress a lady.  Of course, after it worked for Mars, it never worked for any guy ever again.

azziralc
DrSpudnik wrote:

If chess did not exist, we would have to invent it!

Like! +1

eddysallin

what else too occupy one's self when bored ? I think some old time checker player started the whole chess thing !!

learningthemoves

Good question. One may also wonder if understanding the intention of the invention and adjusting your play accordingly to most closely align with the purpose, produces more success. 

NimzoRoy

I don't think there is any known answer to your question, but if you're interested in how chess was invented here are some links for you and the third one is probably worth the $ if you're really interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chess

http://monroi.com/chess-info/44-in/751-the-history-of-chess.html

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781620870624?redirected=true&selectCurrency=USD&gclid=CLXCx4nQlrICFZBUpgodIUAAgQ

Bur_Oak

Chess was invented because it's often not easy to come up with four people for pinochle.

goldendog

It was invented so people would have incentive to cut down those bothersome weed-woods, i.e. ebony, red sandalwood, etc..

NimzoRoy
Bur_Oak wrote:

Chess was invented because it's often not easy to come up with four people for pinochle.

LOL! :=)

Walter0508

wnt it developed from an earlier indian. "  It was invented so people would have incentive to cut down those bothersome weed-woods, i.e. ebony, red sandlwood." sound's about right lol! we invent a game to wipe out the world's forests.

DrSpudnik

so it's a big fail?

DrSpudnik

So something else will have to be invented to help us make the transition from monkeys to space citizens.

APawnCanDream
BowerickWowbagger wrote:

LOL! Chess was never 'invented' it got handed down to us by our alien ancestors. Chess is not particular to earth.

It was used as a means to teach the locals on backward colonized planets how to think ahead and analyze.

If that is true then Anand V  Alien (?) Universe championship must happen! They will have to concede the venue to be someplace in our world due to our inability to travel elsewhere yet. Looking forward to the match!

DrSpudnik

It sure makes me angry! Yell