Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

You should only be allowed to promote a pawn with a piece that has been captured


  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #81

    Bartleby73

    nameno1had wrote:


     I also wanted to thank you for actually reading and considering my ideas thoroughly and then commenting intelligibly.

    It says a lot about this forum that you feel the need to thank me for that, which is sad. It should be a given. I do not wish to offend anyone with the stuff I write. And I wish I could  expect intelligent replies in a chess forum !

     

    I think not rewarding their hard work, with a victory they can enjoy coasting to sometimes and making them all grinding, can be a discouragement. If you have to always work so hard and can barely win, it takes the fun out of it for a beginner, whether they win but, perhaps even more so, when they lose.

    True, but they need to learn basics like Q+K vs K endings. At some point, a kid needs to take the step and take things a bit more seriously. I still praise the winner for the effort, even if they used 3 Queens. But then I also tell them that one Queen should be enough. And that there are other opponents out there. BTW, pretty hard to praise someone if it automatically means saying something negative about the other, losing, player, who is present. 

     

     

     

     I could be snide and say that the tactics trainer's point is to help you win and that using it is the time and place to learn tactics but, I will acquiesce, since you were polite and no matter what, I can't escape the idea that there is no better place than to learn in your games, with necessity being the mother of invention.

    Agreed. However, the unobserved game is not worth playing! 



  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #82

    nameno1had

    Bartleby73 wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:


     I also wanted to thank you for actually reading and considering my ideas thoroughly and then commenting intelligibly.

    It says a lot about this forum that you feel the need to thank me for that, which is sad. It should be a given. I do not wish to offend anyone with the stuff I write. And I wish I could  expect intelligent replies in a chess forum !

     

    I think not rewarding their hard work, with a victory they can enjoy coasting to sometimes and making them all grinding, can be a discouragement. If you have to always work so hard and can barely win, it takes the fun out of it for a beginner, whether they win but, perhaps even more so, when they lose.

    True, but they need to learn basics like Q+K vs K endings. At some point, a kid needs to take the step and take things a bit more seriously. I still praise the winner for the effort, even if they used 3 Queens. But then I also tell them that one Queen should be enough. And that there are other opponents out there. BTW, pretty hard to praise someone if it automatically means saying something negative about the other, losing, player, who is present. 

     

     

     

     I could be snide and say that the tactics trainer's point is to help you win and that using it is the time and place to learn tactics but, I will acquiesce, since you were polite and no matter what, I can't escape the idea that there is no better place than to learn in your games, with necessity being the mother of invention.

    Agreed. However, the unobserved game is not worth playing! 

     

     

    I think actually part of the point of post game analysis is to see the unobserved game because, it very well and usually is worth playing...Smile

  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #83

    Nestman

    There are Queen pawn vs. queen endgames. True, they are hard to win but that is why high level players study them. There are classical games in history between chess giants with more than one queen for each side: I know there is one Alekhine vs. Capablanca but can't bother to pull it up here, and definitely others. 

    Let the kids play as they see fit--it is part of the learning process. They'll either lose interest in chess or outgrow such behaviour.

  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #84

    Nestman

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #85

    Bartleby73

    nameno1had wrote:
     

    I think actually part of the point of post game analysis is to see the unobserved game because, it very well and usually is worth playing...

    Ok, I guess my attempt to hijack a Socrates quote did not work very well. What I was getting at is that the unanalysed game is not worth playing. So playing a thousand games without analysing them will not get you as far as you would want. Unfortunately, many people and especially kids do not bother to write down the notations and look at their games later. Most of the time, they do not even remember their last move. 

  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #86

    nameno1had

    Bartleby73 wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
     

    I think actually part of the point of post game analysis is to see the unobserved game because, it very well and usually is worth playing...

    Ok, I guess my attempt to hijack a Socrates quote did not work very well. What I was getting at is that the unanalysed game is not worth playing. So playing a thousand games without analysing them will not get you as far as you would want. Unfortunately, many people and especially kids do not bother to write down the notations and look at their games later. Most of the time, they do not even remember their last move. 

    In some respects I think it is noteworthy then for both of us to reconsider the intentions of the player, who is choosing to play in the first place. I think if the player has nothing more than the desire to be a casual player and do so for fun, putting the restrictions on him, one would as a coach of a future champion, is a bit near sighted in my opinion.

    As a player, if you don't care who is watching, how you play and could care less about who and how they attempt to critique you, other's opinions mean practically nothing. This can become a debate over whether house rules in monopoly are "good", all the same really.

  • 8 weeks ago · Quote · #87

    Borg9

    phinneas wrote:

    My proposes: when the pawn get promoted he becomes a butterfly.

    Loved this one.


Back to Top

Post your reply: