Forums

Huge Live Chess Bug. Members are being blocked accidently

Sort:
Coach-Bill

I've known about this for awhile...

Go to live chess, and in chat, click on someone's handle.

You get a pop up menu and the cursor automatically hovers over "Block Member", It's easy to accidently activate a block.

This causes a lot of people to block someone they didn't plan to. I have received many friends request and when I go to accept and thank them on their wall, I discover "I am blocked from this users notes".

I don't care if someone blocks me, but there must be thousands of these accidental cases. Unless the offender checks their settings (Unlikely) or tries to send a message, they will never know they blvoked me. Heck, I once had two of my online students blocked so I check my settings often to make certain I didn't do it again!

Why not just add a blank row or two to the bottom of the pop up menu mentioned above. Problem solved!

Be nice to hear from staff on this....Thanks.

Rayyan_Layth

or maybe they show a confirmation when we want to block someone.

Ishan01

Beware my friends and take care that you yourself do not do such an awful deed.Good daySmile

kohai

Thanks, I'll have someone investigate this

Coach-Bill
kohai wrote:

Thanks, I'll have someone investigate this

thank you!

Ronnee

Unimpressed.

Amelia

Thanks aww-rats! I do see what you are referring to and I will add it to our suggestion list for review. (and also add Rayyan_Layth's suggestion of an additional confirmation of blocking.) :)

In the meantime, I noticed there is a way around this. If I click on the very first letter of the username or if the username is at the top of the chat screen the box doesn't open up in the position you are referring to. For example, if the name is at the top of the screen you see this: http://grab.by/vzSk and the option to block is at the bottom.

So until a change is made, perhaps we can all spread the word about this workaround. :)

adamplenty
aww-rats wrote:

You get a pop up menu and the cursor automatically hovers over "Block Member"

Doesn't happen to me on my Firefox 28. What browser are you using? (I'm assuming by someone's handle, you mean their username?)

Coach-Bill
adamplenty wrote:
aww-rats wrote:

You get a pop up menu and the cursor automatically hovers over "Block Member"

Doesn't happen to me on my Firefox 28. What browser are you using? (I'm assuming by someone's handle, you mean their username?)

google Chrome. but the bug has two simple fixes, given ablve. You can't tell everyone to only use Firefox to avoid this bug. You can try, but it won't be effective.

Coach-Bill

Once they get this bug fixed, a simple thing to do is message all the members and say: "You may have accidently blocked a member in error. Go here to check your block list." (Then provide a link to get to your block list). I recently got a message from Erik about how some live chess bugs were fixed. At the same time, some new ones came up in the analysis board. I don't have time to describe them....But will soon. I just work around them for now.

913Glorax12

The problem with technology:

You fix one BIG thing but messed up 5 small things that you wouldn't have know existed until is gone

Frown

Ishan01

Just you can right click on the name and the pop-up list shows the option.

I confirmed if the staff has taken some measures on it but to no avail :( The option is still there.