Forums

New Android App

Sort:
radiomatete

I didn't find some section of bug reporting, so I use that tread to add a bug I got on my chess.com android app v. 2.73 on android 2.2.1 (motorola Defy (motoblur)).

the issue is:

4) when I rotate my phone, the app adjust itself (that is ok), but the board reset itself to the initial positions. In tactics, the tactics is reset to the first move.

thanks.
(i'll be willing to do some QA, in a bug reporting system)

kohai

Awesome!

http://www.chess.com/groups/home/chesscom-android-group

kohai
radiomatete wrote:

4) when I rotate my phone, the app adjust itself (that is ok), but the board reset itself to the initial positions. In tactics, the tactics is reset to the first move.

Ok I need specifics on this one please.

Step by step can you explain to me exactly what you do to make this happen as its working ok for me so I must be missing a step somewhere.

radiomatete

just to be clear in this post: I posted my  problem in the android group: http://www.chess.com/groups/forumview/bug-reporting-android-app

kohai

I replied on there :)

JamieKowalski

I'm having a problem when playing a turn-based game and the connection is iffy. I often catch up on my games on the metro on the way to work, and connectivity dips in and out. Of course I don't expect the move to go through without connection, but the problem is that that can sometimes completely hang the app for a very long time. This morning I gave up and restarted my phone.

I'm on an HTC Incredible, Android version 2.3.4

Kobushnikov

I tried the bug reporting forum but it seems like the page has been removed.

Running v.2.0.74 on Galaxy S3. I can only make moves when connected via Wi-Fi. I can login to account with mobile  network but when I select, Play Online, it does not show any games. As soon as I connect to Wi-Fi, it shows active games and I can make moves.

timbeau

Electric Sheep

eigentor

I can confirm the tactics trainer is mostly unusable on the android app.
The points you get are weird: sometimes it awards you one point for a solution of a problem, sometimes you get more than 10 for one in similar diffuculty. But I could live with this.

What makes it really annoying is, it appears to be counting wrong. Sometimes you start at a lower overall rating than you left off. The most extreme thing happened to me today, when I solved a problem and had something around 1365 points. It awarded me 22 points because I solved the problem. But then it did not add those points, but subtracted around 30-35 points. This is really annoying and needs testing on your side.

Blahfasel

For me, the tactics trainer on Android does not work at all anymore. Tested on two different devices (a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and a Samsung Galaxy Tab). It will always crash or just log me out. I had a diamond membership until recently, but since I was mainly using the tactics trainer on my Tab, I did not renew the membership. The problem exists since several months, and I think it is pointless to pay money and not get any additional value.

ka05

Hi, my chess.com app has auto updated on my Samsung Galaxy S3 running android 4.3. It keeps saying "Unfortunately chess has stopped". I have uninstalled and re-installed (just). Typically I manage to login click on my first waiting game; pause; black screen; stopped message. On holidays I only use the app so this is important to me. Is there somewhere I can get a copy of the old app? It seems to stop all over the place - e.g. I tried to reach this forum but the app closed (using a work laptop now).

Is it working for anyone else with S3 and android 4.3?

ppsha

I have problems with tactisc trainer too. It periodically hangs down, showing animated squares pic, like losing connection (while the connection icon in the corner (3G pic) showing no network activity at all!!! And web browser still working!). I suspect, this hanging bug occurs after incorrect answer, but why?

I found the tactic trainer completely useless in the new app. A great pity :-(

Baguett

i cant get rid of the "chess.com live" notification after the new upgrade?

Bizarrebra

There are no filters in the new app. When you post a challenge anybody can accept it.

vradegin

My android app auto-updated on Samsung.  I don't know how to use the new app.  Are there instructions?  For example, How to invert the view in Analysis mode?  What does the pawn icon button do?

Kansha

Hey Android users. Just as an FYI, we are now reverting back to the prior app until we get everything sorted with the new release.

We're really sorry about all the trouble and hope you can bear with us through this as we continue working on making chess.com the best chess site on the web!

alien_roger

Hey guys! If you have any issues with the Android app, please feel free to post it here, or contact me. Thank you!

notmtwain

Can't believe that the last post on this thread was 16 months ago. I can't seem to find more current threads for posts about the current status of the Android app. (I have searched.)

Does anyone know where to find one? 

It is not clear that the reviews at the app stores are the way to go. There are a ton of reviews (something like 87,000 at the Google Play store but it is not clear that chess.com pays any more attention to them than to the comments here.)

alien_roger

We pay attention  Our new version is on beta stage. What questions do you have?

notmtwain

Shouldn't there be a dedicated forum for comments/bug reports/ suggestions about the apps?  With 87,000 reviews on Google Play, is that the best place?  Is there any way for you to make sense of that many comments/complaints (on Google Play)? Or do you just have to read each one and make note of any reasonable suggestions?  How would you know if there were a lot of complaints about one issue? If an App forum can't be added, couldn't the forum order be changed so that "Site Feedback and Suggestions" and "Help and Support" were at the top of the list?

I haven't played a lot of games using the app yet. It seems like here in the forums we do get people coming in every day to complain about their inability to realize when they get disconnected, leading to numerous lost games when they thought they were winning. There are a lot of angry people. Is there anything being done/ that can be done about that (letting people know when they get disconnected)?

Also, there was a comment yesterday that a guy wants to be able to flip the board when watching games on the app. http://www.chess.com/forum/view/suggestions/feedback2 He liked the app overall, describing it as "gorgeous".