Forums

What do you think of people who inflate their rating by playing only patzers?

Sort:
beerpatzer
SmyslovFan wrote:

I will not play anyone who won't accept challenges from a player rated the same as themselves (for example, if a player sends out seeks only for players rated +200 above them). If they aren't good enough to accept their own challenges, they aren't good enough for me to accept their challenge either!

I know, many coaches tell their students to "play up". It's good advice. But the only way that advice can work is if you're also willing to "play down" occasionally.

How do you know what they accept or not, in live games?

SmyslovFan

Beerpatzer, you can often see what the limits of an opponent's seek is by hovering over their spot in the seek graph. 

beerpatzer
SmyslovFan wrote:

Beerpatzer, you can often see what the limits of an opponent's seek is by hovering over their spot in the seek graph. 

In live games?

ryansth16

The only reason this might work is because it seems like at the lower rating levels live standard ratings are inflated (compared to USCF) but when you get high enough they are inflated. Due to the relative lack of high level opponents. So on this site, yes it is probable that your rating will be slightly higher if you play lower rated people (at least once you get to say 1450-1500.) I don't think this is true for bullet and blitz however.

ryansth16

However, at the high levels it's hard to find opponents of similar and higher ratings so you almost have to face lower rated players