Forums

What does bonus time mean in live chess?

Sort:
J_Piper

What does the bonus time mean; how is it figured?  How is this bonus enabled?

Frankdawg

The bonus time is time added to your time after you make each move.

J_Piper

Thanks; for instance?

knightspawn5

You will see time set like 15-0 meaning its a 15 minute game, if you see like 10-10 or 15-15, it a fifteen minute game with 15 minutes bonus time.  Once you make a move some time is added to you game.  It makes it a 30 minute maximum if it adds it all.   The computer figures and adds it.  I really dont know how it does it...

Chess_Patzer

This helped me understand quite a bit: http://blog.chess.com/DrawMaster/how-to-calculate-the-effect-of-bonus-time

harisinchan

5-2 means for every single move,you get a addition of 2 seconds extra

dragonair234
knightspawn5 wrote:

You will see time set like 15-0 meaning its a 15 minute game, if you see like 10-10 or 15-15, it a fifteen minute game with 15 minutes bonus time.  Once you make a move some time is added to you game.  It makes it a 30 minute maximum if it adds it all.   The computer figures and adds it.  I really dont know how it does it...

Thank you for explaining :)

Lagomorph
qandasesh wrote:

Why not call it a thirty minute game then?

15-15 would mean you get 15 minutes on the clock at the start, but for every move you make you get a bonus 15 SECONDS.

The aim of this kind of time control is that you will always have at least 15 seconds to make a move.

bangalore2

Actually, it will. Read the above comments.

blueemu
ranu204 wrote:

bonus time will be added if your move is strong enough..the main idea of this practice is if you are in a wining position...and u have lesser time than your opponent.then u don't have to lose on time..computer will add time(2 sec/move in 5/2 game) as bonus...but remember computer will not add time in every move..

The computer on a chess site (I am not referring to dedicated chess engines, of course) can't tell a good move from a bad one.

acclivity

Having read these conflicting views and dubious suggestions, I'm more confused than ever LOL

Rollingwagon

thanks. I've been enlightened.

Lagomorph
acclivity wrote:

Having read these conflicting views and dubious suggestions, I'm more confused than ever LOL

Just ignore the post from knightspawn5, and ignore the (deleted)post of ranu204 that was quoted by blueemu.

The rest of the posts are correct.

SirMojtabaOnline

Thanks guys , they really helped