Forums

How to not get nervous in Tournaments

Sort:
Elite_Spartan

Hi guys,

I'm having a chess tournament soon. My rating is about 1400 elo. Currently my ranking has been going down because I am very depressed at the death of a family member. Anyhow I want to ask you guys how to become Better in chess tournaments, and how to not be nervous. I've been in about 3 tournaments and it is very stressful everytime I get nervous. I can't concentrate and I can't play to my fullest so I'm asking you guys to help me do better.

Scottrf

Dunno, grow some balls and understand it's just a game of chess?

Elite_Spartan

Scottrf, why don't you stfu cause you are worse than me in chess!

Scottrf

Our standard, online, tactics and chess mentor ratings would disagree, not that it's important.

Crazychessplaya

Arrive at the place where the tournament is held early, walk around, sit at a chess table, get used to the place. Getting familiar with the venue should help you calm down. And use the time on the clock you are given. You don't have to rush your moves, there's plenty of time.

Elite_Spartan

Scottrf, I've played 4-5 online games and the tactics and chess mentor things aren't important to me. I do the tactics once every 2 months same with the mentor. You've done over 6000 atempts for the tactics and for the mentor you've done more than 1000 lessons. I've done less than 20 for all of them. Btw your standard is lower than mine. If you have some eyes you would see that. Your current rating is lower and your highest score is also lower.

Crazychessplaya thank you for your advice.

Scottrf
Achilleskim1201 wrote:

Btw your standard is lower than mine. If you have some eyes you would see that. Your current rating is lower and your highest score is also lower.

You might want to go back to school, because 1270 is higher than 1245.

neo-metacrash

Just sit down, clear your mind, be hydrated, and don't get to anxious over a blunder.

chessmaster102

come up with a motto to get you hype mines is do your best and your sure to beat the rest. Dont give in to the 2nd post taunts that guy is just trolling or ignorant.

MrEdCollins

1)  You will be less nervous if you are confident.  And confidence comes via experience, being fully prepared, etc.,

2)  You will also be less nervous if you take a moment to realize that your opponent might be as nervous, if not more so, than you!  That alone should make you feel good.

JamesCoons

After you play a lot of games any nervousness goes away. You realize that winning or losing just doesn't matter that much.

ab121705
Achilleskim1201 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm having a chess tournament soon. My rating is about 1400 elo. Currently my ranking has been going down because I am very depressed at the death of a family member. Anyhow I want to ask you guys how to become Better in chess tournaments, and how to not be nervous. I've been in about 3 tournaments and it is very stressful everytime I get nervous. I can't concentrate and I can't play to my fullest so I'm asking you guys to help me do better.

get some cardio exercise - get your heart rate up so you are alert and producing all those healthy brain drugs - dopamine etc. This helps me with nerves. Also, just playing a lot. And realizing that losing is no big deal. Believe me I know from experience

PawnPromoter316

What makes us all nervous in a tournament game? Overlooking a fork, tactic that causes us to lose a piece or something like that. The best way I've found to eliminate nervousness at a tournament is to resolve to look at every move my opponent can make before I play mine, to look at the game through my opponent's eyes and not just mine

PawnPromoter316

Was this an OTB or online tournament? Just curious...I think I'd be more nervous playing in tourneys with short (for me) time controls, say G/60 or under, cause I wouldn't feel like I had enough time to try to figure out what was going on and to check my opponent's moves

Elite_Spartan

thanks guys! Scottrf you are less than 1400 while I am in 1400 for record and i am over 1300. Are you blind.

AlCzervik
MrEdCollins wrote:

1)  You will be less nervous if you are confident.  And confidence comes via experience, being fully prepared, etc.,

2)  You will also be less nervous if you take a moment to realize that your opponent might be as nervous, if not more so, than you!  That alone should make you feel good.

As far as the 2nd point, who cares what the opponent is thinking? This goes back to the 1st point, which is what matters most. There really isn't any substitute for experience and being ready. No experience otb? Just try to relax and don't put too much pressure on yourself. After all, it's not like you will be playing Anand!

Consider this. In endeavors like this, or, tennis or golf, hell, even some videogame tournaments, there is one winner! Most chess tourneys are not team sports. If you win, congratulations! If not, don't let it get you down.

Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Serena Williams, Pete Sampras all lost many more times than they won.

Elite_Spartan

thanks tmimitw great advice

ab121705

tactics trainer 5 hours per day; you will improve quickly

madhacker

The best thing for overcoming nerves is winning games, but admittedly this can seem like a bit of a Catch-22 when you are not playing well.

I agree with the tip about physical exercise, although I'd add the caviat that it's probably not a great idea to go for a 10k run immediately before the game because (unless you are a lot fitter than me!) you will be shattered when it comes to actually sitting down at the board. Perhaps earlier in the day, or the evening before, do some cardio training.

Also preparation for your opponents helps. If you have some idea what openings your opponent is going to play, and what options you have in response, this can help calm your nerves. I find that even if I'm very nervous before a game starts, by the time it's got into a middlegame position and both players are just playing chess, the nerves ease a lot. Opening preparation will ensure that you at least reach the middlegame (!)

Also, remember your opponent is also a human being and will probably also be nervous. Feel confident, and you will give off an impression of confidence, and maybe make him/her even more nervous. Tournament chess is at least 50% psychology.

Finally, some tension is not always a bad thing. Obviously you don't want to be trembling with fear, but it's possible to be too relaxed as well. A few nerves can be positive, as they keep you alert and less likely to make a silly error.

Kevinthedankmemer

kalm dovn