The Candidates Tournament!

Sort:
netzach

It's brilliant!

AlCzervik

varelse1
blueemu wrote:
onthehouse wrote:

One would think Ivanchuk has to be disappointed in himself and embarrassed to have lost five games on time in a tournament of this caliber.

Quite honestly, I suspect that Ivanchuk's biggest regret from this Candidates is that he didn't create a really beautiful game, similar to the two that I've posted on this page (vs Topalov) and the last (vs Jobava). I get the impression that he's not too bothered about finishing last (or in this case, second-last) as long as he plays at least one really beautiful game.

Chucky's hey-day is nearly over. He is entering the Autumn of the year, and he is looking for his "Swansong." Some sort of Evergreen Game, to be remembered by.

pdela

humm something like Shirov Bh3!!

do you know the guy always sign his autograph in the square h3 of the board

www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1143956

pdela

Nigel Short: I am crap at endgames. I remember discussing an opposite bishops endgame (Topalov-Shirov) live with Vishy Anand in Linares once. After several minutes of analysis or so we concluded it was drawn until Shirov suddenly played ...Bh3!!! Our jaws dropped. It was perhaps one of the greatest moves I have seen in my life

SPARTANEMESIS

All the anxiety I've just read over Ivanchuk's time management is probably the most compelling argument I've seen that Chess.com might have more people playing extended time controls in Live chess if there was a standard feature for it.  And to suggest certain GMs didn't belong at the tournament isn't only criticizing the GMs, it's also criticizing the experts who determine which players participate at the top levels of this great game.  I suppose it's always expected, 'cause almost everyone's a critic.

pdela

SPARTANEMESIS wrote:

All the anxiety I've just read over Ivanchuk's time management is probably the most compelling argument I've seen that Chess.com might have more people playing extended time controls in Live chess if there was a standard feature for it.  And to suggest certain GMs didn't belong at the tournament isn't only criticizing the GMs, it's also criticizing the experts who determine which players participate at the top levels of this great game.  I suppose it's always expected, 'cause almost everyone's a critic.

well, you know, opinions are like arses everybody has one.

It is unbelievable the intellectually that one's acquires after a long night of insomnia

I sent an e-mail at 5.00 am to my supervisor saying I would probably won't be at time to work, I guess he is now thinking I spent the night in an after-hours. Let's see if he is on Skype

jesterville

There is no issue of Chucky "deserving" to be here. He qualified by winning Gibraltar I believe-

• M-Tel Masters, Sofia 2008 8/10 2008, 1st
  • Tal Memorial, Moscow 2008, 6/9 1st
  • Tal Memorial (Blitz), Moscow 2008, 1st
  • Linares 2009 8/14, Joint 1st (Alexander Grischuk declared winner because of higher number of wins)
  • Bazna 2009, 7/10 1st
  • Jermuk 2009, 8½/13 1st
  • Amber Rapid 2010, 8/11 Joint 1st (with Magnus Carlsen)
  • Amber Overall 2010, Joint 1st (with Magnus Carlsen)
  • Capablanca Memorial Havana 2010, 7/10 1st
  • Cap d'Agde Rapid 2010, 1st
  • Gibraltar 2011, 9/10 1st
  • Capablanca Memorial Havana 2011, 6½/10 1st
  • Grand Slam Bilbao – São Paulo 2011, Joint 1st (Magnus Carlsen wins the tie-break blitz games)
  • Capablanca Memorial Havana, Cuba 2012, 6½/10, 1st.
blueemu

He's also been ranked #2 on the world rating list on three occasions.

Just imagine how successful he'd be if he wasn't batshit crazy!

pdela

yeah, jester you have the same opinion I have...

trysts there were other candidates tournaments threads, yet yours have more than 6000 comments I guess you should have done something good.

TetsuoShima

but now its ok, i accept it, Carlsen is the best and he will be the new champion for sure.

cabbagecrates
TetsuoShima wrote:

but now its ok, i accept it, Carlsen is the best and he will be the new champion for sure.

Did someone hack your account? Laughing

TetsuoShima
cabbagecrates wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:

Did someone hack your account?

no im just kidding, im still amazed by the Ivanchuk game where he had the king in the center. 

jesterville

I was doing some research on Chucky, and found a statement by Anand -

"Chucky", as Ivanchuk is called, has been described by Viswanathan Anand as the most eccentric player in the chess world. Anand, tongue-in-cheek, gave his view on Ivanchuk like this:[13]

He's someone who is very intelligent ... but you never know which mood he is going to be in. Some days he will treat you like his long-lost brother. The next day he ignores you completely.

The players have a word for him. They say he lives on "Planet Ivanchuk". (Laughs) ... I have seen him totally drunk and singing Ukrainian poetry and then the next day I have seen him give an impressive talk.

His playing style is unpredictable and highly original, making him more dangerous but sometimes leading to quick losses as well.

.......................................................................................

I was thinking about other comments about his "nervous condition", and "not sure which Ivanchuk will turn up", "mood swings"...and it made me wonder if he may have some "disorder". 

TetsuoShima

or he is just a funny guy

jesterville

I read that Carlsen was not pleased with Chucky after he opened with "The Budapest" against Aronian...I am certain, he was more than pleased to see him defeat Kramnik.

Here's one of him in his younger years-

jesterville

So with "The Candidates 2013 " done, I hope some sort of post-mortem is done to improve future Tournaments. The area I think needs looking into would be-

1. The choice of colours at the official site for the chess board and pieces. The red was just not doing it for me, a "softer" colour blend would be much better.

2. The breaks for commentators at the official site. Why do we need to stop the show to allow them their breaks? I don't think they both need to go at the same time...stagger it, and let each go solo for a bit...better yet (as happened for a short period), let different GMs hold the fort...but in this case, give us a brief bio to build the character.

3. The last day chessbomb crashed...and I believe the official site also had some issues at the very start. For the WCC between Anand and Carlsen, the IT Managers need to understand that it will be akin to Fisher in 1972....or Kasparov vs Karpov. Demand will be huge, so we need to ensure that extra capacity is in place.

4. The tie-break system sucked. A match in any format between the two would have been better IMHO.

fburton

Agree wholeheartedly on all points, jesterville.

The facility for users to 'skin' the colour scheme would please people who really hated the official one. Is that technically feasible though?

I used the breaks to go make tea and to void tea-filtrate. However, some of the breaks went on for quite a long time during which I was impatient for continued commentary. Staggering commentators would be a good idea (and I don't mean giving Short more wine).

The chessbomb crash was annoying, coming as it did at a critical stage in the tournament.

Moyuba

i personally don't see the problem in having breaks. you get to points where they have basically analysed everything and run out of things to say anyway, so having a 10 minute break and letting the games progress a little before continuing just makes sense.

jesterville

Hi Moyuba, I understand your position, I just think that this is 2013 and we are talking about a live international coverage. I love sports and I can't recall any live feed of baseball, basketball, football, tennis etc.stopping because of breaks...not even poker. If we are serious about "growing chess" these are the small things we need to take care of.